Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone i am pretty new to the sport, stupid question, I bought a new 2005 Polaris 800 edge Touring 1st time out .9 mi. on sled. Went to Old Forge in New York, Still has break-in Fuel in Tank, my sled started fine 2 days in a row cranked over great, I put 60mi. on the sled Sunday, parked it went in for the night came out of the hotel next morning it was about -2 degrees f. the engine cranked over like the battery was partially dead, tried pulling the starter rope could barely pull it, it was hard to yank. Removed plugs, still hard to crank over, electrically it cranked slower than normal. finally when the temp was about 7 degrees above i got it started by pulling the rope hard as hell. Could it be the break in oil stiffening up the starting system expecially with a tight engine? After it started plenty of smoke, cleared up somewhat. Ran Great, Is this normal? Possible reed valves sticking or open? Thanks:confused:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
My ZL550 pulls over real hard in single-digit temperatures. The first 2 or 3 pulls are a bear! It gets easier after that, and usually starts within 1 or 2 more pulls. Thought that was normal... :confused:

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Before you shut you sled off for the night in cold temps fully choke it for 2-3 seconds and shut off if it does not stall. What this does is puts gas in your cylinders which cleans off the oil that would normally sit on the cylinder walls over night becoming thick. This works great. Hope it helps you out. Thanks!!! Locky

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys i hope its normal because of the oil build up on the piston walls, i contacted the dealer today and scheduled a service visit, the sled cranked over fine this morning and fired right up, hopefully they will find out its normal, Locky choking it before turning off is a great idea and makes sense Thanks... Edge Rider

1 - 5 of 5 Posts