Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Nooby sled head
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey po heads.. I am new to sleds picked up a 98 500 with 1800 mi. on her, doing the "new owner check" found the previous owner was running the 9s and not the stock listed 8s.
Any benefit or detriment to the colder plug ? She starts and runs well as is, I fouled them out once putting around the yard SLOW while getting the feel for her..cleaned em up , dried the extra fuel and she fired right back up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I used to carry a pair of 8's and a pair of 9's for my old 500. i ran the 9's on warmer spring days (20deg+) and ran the 8's the rest. i would say i ran 8's 90% of the time, and it does run better on the 8's. 9's just seemed to have better throttle response on the warmer afternoons late in the season.

·
Premium Member
2,227 Posts
I used to carry a pair of 8's and a pair of 9's for my old 500. i ran the 9's on warmer spring days (20deg+) and ran the 8's the rest. i would say i ran 8's 90% of the time, and it does run better on the 8's. 9's just seemed to have better throttle response on the warmer afternoons late in the season.
The previous owner of my '97 Classic (500) did the same exact thing. I've run 8's in mine since I bought it with no problems.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey po heads.. I am new to sleds picked up a 98 500 with 1800 mi. on her, doing the "new owner check" found the previous owner was running the 9s and not the stock listed 8s.
Any benefit or detriment to the colder plug ? She starts and runs well as is, I fouled them out once putting around the yard SLOW while getting the feel for her..cleaned em up , dried the extra fuel and she fired right back up.
Had the same sled, the difference will be very little, but you might as well go back to stock if thats what it says. I ran 8s in my exact same sled as well but it was bored .10 over but 8s just run a little hotter then 9s

1 - 6 of 6 Posts