Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mad Snowshoveler
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I broke my drive chain last year
This is when I took the cover off of the chain case.

If anyone is familiar with the ZR series gears they will know there is a lip on the bottom gear.
From my first picture it seems as if the lip is pointed in, towards the bulkhead/track.
When I reinstalled it I KNOW I put the lip facing the outside of the snowmobile, because I wasn't thinking about it and it seemed like the logical thing to do. In short I was helping my cousin work on his XC SP 600 and he put his bottom gear on with the lip facing the inside, and made me think I had put mine back together wrong. So I went online to a part diagram to see how it looked.

It kind of looks like the lip is supposed to be on the inside, towards the bulkhead/track on the 1998 parts diagram, but in the 2002 version it looks like I have it right?
Also my sled is a hybrid, 2002 zr chassis, 1998 carb 600 engine. I'm not sure what parts were or were not swapped over. The chain case may be from the 2002 not the 1998.

I'm just trying to get some direction on this, I have rode it around with it the way it is. There was no binding that I could feel but it is a snowmobile. I really don't want to be out sleding and have this break again. Thanks guys. Gosh darn it I can't get the parts diagram pictures to come up...babitts isn't cooperating. If anyone knows what I'm talking about or is willing to take the time to check this out I appreciate it.

·
Registered
25,351 Posts
You want the spacer to the inside! You should also put a straight edge between them to be sure it is in line!

·
Mad Snowshoveler
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks a bunch! I didn't want to go off riding tomorrow and have her bust apart on me. I guess its time to drain that $19 per 12oz skidoo (total rip off) chain case oil out! Thanks for the help man.

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
Mmm. bacon. in drooling.
i want to have bacon sented oil for my sleds.haha

·
Registered
79 Posts
'jwaldmann89' have a good look at your chain....!
I thank you for bringing this up. I bust a chain on my zr800/900 last Saturday. Got it back to the garage, swapped in a used chain I had lying around until I purchased a new one.. I had to back out the tensioner 3/8 of an inch for my used chain, so the P.O. must have known his chain was at it's limit! All this said, I carefully laid out the gears as they came off the shafts. I did remember that the collared part of the lower gear WAS facing out!!! And so, replaced it that way! After reading your thread... OH NO! Anyway, picked up a new chain this am, drove to the cottage and tore off the case. Yes, the lower gear mounted with the collar outside.... pulled the used chain/gears and replaced with new, with collar to the INSIDE. Steel ruler'd the gears to make sure! All this to say, my used chain was half broken in one spot, probably wouldn't have gone 10 more miles, without busting, and most likely taking my case with it.
The P.O. (I'm discovering) did not have his work done at a shop, or.... if he did, I'll avoid this shop like the plague.
Anyways, as you stated you had ridden the sled like that, verify that your chain is not pulling apart.... being off center. I only rode my used chain for 15 miles, max!
best,
Sandy

·
Mad Snowshoveler
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced the chain last spring and since then I've only put about 1/4 mile on it since then :) I went to flip her over so I wouldn't have to drain the fluid and my gas cap was leaking just like last year, I guess I had forgot. Turns out it was the filler neck was cracked!
So I sanded it down and put jb weld all the way around the filler and I'm gunna flip gears tomorrow!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts