Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as a few of you may know, I’ve had a few issues with both of my sleds recently. I own a 1979 arctic cat jag 340 and a 1981 panther 4000, both of which I put new filters, fuel pumps and cleaned the carbs in each. I had both sleds running like a top all summer and into the fall, starting and running them regularly. So when we finally got enough snow to ride I was ready!! Or so I thought....the wife jumps on her jag, I start it and off she goes... I fire my panther up and off I go, I run about 200 ft and it dies... she makes a few laps around our 2 acre yard and she puts hers up.. citing the fact it was backfiring. Well I fixed the backfiring easily... I was all set to replace the cdi box and found the connectors were loose.. pushed em back together and runs perfect. Now on to mine, I replaced fuel pump, cleaned carb over and over again. Then I THINK I actually figured out the issue... it seemed to me it was running out of fuel.. from the pump, replaced filter... same thing still running out of fuel. So then I decided to pull the line out of the tank and noticed it was about 3 times as long as it needed to be adn there was a huge nut zip tied to the end...I THINK, it may have been sticking up out of the gas as it was nearing empty, I added about a gallon of gas to it and ran like a champ. So I shortened the fuel line and replaced the large nut with the right brass weighted end. Now it should sit in the proper area of the tank and sit on the bottom like it should. Hoping for more snow and it both are indeed fixed!!!! Sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Crazy what some people will do. Nut on the end is a cheap easy fix, but typically provides zero filtering so anything in the tank goes into the filter. (good/bad?).

Glad you're back on the snow. The two cats will run for long time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So someone not only sat where they weren’t sposed to and broke my lid... but then they seen fit to pop rivet a mud flap on it.. for unknown reasons to me. I’ll need to get a new trunk lid.. as they hard to find?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Salvage Yards, eBay and maybe someone with one laying around in their garage someplace. Older stuff like that can be hard to find as there is so many people wanting to refurbish old sleds.

May want to try a place called vintagesleds.com I think that is the right address?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts