Snowmobile Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
@ q_relic. I'm glad you found the solution to your problem :)

I just finished my top end rebuild yesterday, today I get to test it. Obviously I can't confirm yet whether I've resolved my problem, but the overhaul was definitely in the sleds near future. The pistons were visibly in rough shape, mainly scoring on the skirts. Though the cylinders looked clean, measuring them told a different story. They were both warped out of spec and had had to be bored to the next size up. Just pulling on the recoil I notice a significantly higher amount of compression. Here's hoping my problems solved.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
***Possibly resolved for really this time***

I'm 4 hours, 44 miles in on my break in. So so far so good, Haven't had any deep snow but I have stopped the sled on some steep embankments, let the sled idle, and then attempt to climb them. In 4-6 inches of snow I could climb 10ft, 45° hills to the road with virtually no throttle. I'm also Getting significantly higher rpms at WOT, topping out at 8100 for the 3 second burst I did. (May have to do some clutching to calm it down)

I do have one more question. Yesterday at some point after 3.5 hours total time since the rebuild, my pto side spark plug boot came loose and was only making contact occasionally. The plug had a little wet fouling going on. I've since fixed the problem, but what I'm wondering is if the half our or so of missfirng due to lack of spark could have done damage to that side being so new. Sled seems to be fine but the questions worth asking.

·
Super Moderator
18,299 Posts
If you're concerned, you can pull the plug and use a small light to look at the cylinder walls, and pull the exhaust and carbs/intake to look at the front and rear of the piston skirts.

I'm doubting any damage occurred, the gas/oil in the unburned fuel probably protected things just fine.

Any time I do a rebuild, I always mix that first tank of gas with oil, just to make sure there's plenty of oil on those break-in rides. I foul a few plugs doing that, but plugs are cheaper than pistons!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Wow, alright this is getting ridiculous... Did it again in deep powder off the side of the trail. Popped the plugs, they were fouled, so I replaced them. A day later, does it again, come to find out the pto spark plug boot is bad, it popped off the plug and let it foul again. Replaced both spark plug boots with oem for good measure, no problems for a couple days. Last time out on the trail, coming up on a steep hill on the trail. Start giving it power. Bogs and locks down at 5100 rpm wide open... Check the plugs, they're perfect toasted marshmallow brown, no signs of fouling. What the f***!!! The rebuild definitely have me more top end and bottom end power, but it's failed to eliminate the original problem. I'm stumped. The sled doesn't bog as much, much it always manages to do it when I really need the power, ie trying to get across powder that will sink you of you power down...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
In talking to annoy so local shop today, we have a new working theory. How we haven't thought to try this yet is beyond me, especially with q_relic commenting a similar issue. Were thinking because my primary clutch engages so high, (4800rpm) the secondary may be getting forced open immediately, which isn't so much of an issue on low power demanding surfaces, but hills and powder need more torque. If I'm starting off on a higher "gear" it would explain everything.

Tomorrow I'm going to pop the hood and belt cover off and go for a ride, watch ing the clutch. Of it opens too quick I'll clock it tighter or change the spring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Watching and looking forward to your test.

Been fighting a similar issue on a 97 classic for a couple seasons. Went through all the same steps...carb rebuild, fuel pump service, engine rebuild, new/used and cleaned primary, and rebuilding my secondary now. No snow here in Minneapolis, so no easy way to check except on a stand.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Looks like I'm gonna have to wait till next season to find out... I clocked the spring tighter to make the secondary shift later. I went to put it back on and noticed the bolt for my primary clutch was missing. Turns out the f***er sheared off at some point during the last ride. So comforting to know that clutch could have flown off at any time... So now I'm stuck with a broken bolt deep inside the clutch.

I'm not gonna screw with it any more this season. Our foot and a half of snow melted in two days. 50+ degrees projected all next week coupled with this winters ridiculous warm temperature trend makes me think that was it. Time to dust off the bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks- I know this is an old thread (but first time I've seen it despite extensive research!) My 2005 Polaris Edge Touring 340 has the exact same symptoms as the original poster. EXACTLY the same. I saw that Q_Relic thinks he fixed his issue by fixing/replacing Helix in secondary (though it was not confirmed), and it appears Planem1 may still have the issue after replacing spring in primary.

Can anyone confirm whether a fix was, in fact, found for this frustrating issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi folks- I know this is an old thread (but first time I've seen it despite extensive research!) My 2005 Polaris Edge Touring 340 has the exact same symptoms as the original poster. EXACTLY the same. I saw that Q_Relic thinks he fixed his issue by fixing/replacing Helix in secondary (though it was not confirmed), and it appears Planem1 may still have the issue after replacing spring in primary.

Can anyone confirm whether a fix was, in fact, found for this frustrating issue?
I have a 95 and 96 polaris 488 indy trails and they are both doing the exact same thing.you are not alone haha.I'm gonna start with changing the belts and go from there.i will update my progress.

·
Super Moderator
18,299 Posts
If this is happening only in the powder, it's possible that the exhaust is getting blocked by snow... mountain sleds have a deflector in front of the exhaust to help with that problem. If it's only in powder, next time it happens, try to lean the sled so the exhaust is away from the snow and see if that helps...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 95 and 96 polaris 488 indy trails and they are both doing the exact same thing.you are not alone haha.I'm gonna start with changing the belts and go from there.i will update my progress.
I have been having the same problem on a 96 indy 500 carb. I'm ready to drive it off a cliff.
Compression is low, 95 psi both cylinders. thinking of top end rebuild this off season but based on what others did not sure that will solve it.
It really seems like a clutching issue, like it's trying to start in 3rd gear with low torque because of reduced compression. Once your going 20 mph it runs like a bat out of hell!!!

·
Registered
26,048 Posts
Measuring the center to center of the clutches is the first step and then a carpenters square across the plugs to the secondary!
But I would go threw the motor first and replace the seals and then as putting motor back into chassis get it square and set!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts