Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
AOL IM: Yuenlging 1013
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after a good night of riding in a foot of fresh poweder my motor died. It was smoking and I later found it to be antifreeze. The pull string will not pull out at all, so is my motor seized? What kinda of repair costs am I gonna be looking at. Would it be cheaper/better to sell it for 800 bucks and get another used sled?

·
Registered
37 Posts
only way to tell is to tear the motor apart and see the damage. if you can do the work youself the parts usualy arnt to bad for price. sory to hear i hope you can fix it before spring

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Did you take the plugs out and try to pull it over. Coolant may have filled the crankcase and wouldn't let the pistons move.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It sounds like its a beater sled. Pop the heads off and knock the pistons loose with a hammer and block of wood. Let it all soak in mystery oil first. Thats just what Id do.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did take one of the sparks out, but I didn't see anything inside. I'll take em all out and see if it moves at all.

Knock the pistons loose with a hammer? that can't be good, hahah. If I did that, isn't it going to tear the crap outta the cylinder walls?
I'm seriously thinking of letting this guy have it for 800 bucks. I really don't wanna drop a grand into fixing it, and I deffinatly don't know how to do the work myself. :(

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
You missed the part about the block of wood. Use a block of wood to bang on. Don't strike the piston with the hammer.

The point was that it sounds like you have a beater sled. The suggestion from 1BrokeCat was how to free the piston, not how to repair it properly. You have to decide whether or not you want to ride it till it dies, or put money into it and get it fixed right.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok well I took out the sparks, the middle spark didn't wanna come out. After some convincing, it came out, but looked like it was through hell. The electrode was all crushed up and looked like something just beat the crap out of it.

I think I've decided to have it fixed, being that if I buy another one, the same thing could happen. At least if I have this one fixed, it should be good for a while. Do you guys think 1000 bucks is a fair price, or should I keep looking. That was a quote from a small motor repair shop, nothing special like a dealer or anything.

I see what your saying about the banging with wood and hammer, I just figured if it was seized, banging it out would put some nasty groves in the walls. Like I know anything about motors anyway, hahah. Thanks for all the help guys, much appriaciated.

·
Registered
282 Posts
good ol' tripples!

·
Registered
65 Posts
i run a 97 tripple 600 and a 2000. kick the hell out of a twin. besides i've seen alot more 600 twins go down in my area than the tripples. when you have the engine rebuilt make sure the carbs are cleaned and synchronized.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bradford said:
when you have the engine rebuilt make sure the carbs are cleaned and synchronized.
Will do. The guy who's gonna do it has the same sled I have, so I think he's the best for the job anyway. I'll be sure to mention that to him though, thanks.

·
Registered
282 Posts
bradford said:
i run a 97 tripple 600 and a 2000. kick the hell out of a twin. besides i've seen alot more 600 twins go down in my area than the tripples.
Oh I know. Can't beat the PULL of a triple, especially when your PULLING that center cylinder off.... lol

·
Registered
88 Posts
Make sure to find out where the antifreeze was coming from, too.The ZRT I had the bottom coolant hose had chafed thru.Tight quarters under there.You should probably make sure your guy pulls the engine and checks all the coolant hoses.Be a shame to fry a fresh rebuild:(

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
While it's apart, check the carb jetting. The center cylinder is usually jetted richer to compensate for the increased heat.

·
Registered
570 Posts
bradford said:
i run a 97 tripple 600 and a 2000. kick the hell out of a twin. besides i've seen alot more 600 twins go down in my area than the tripples. when you have the engine rebuilt make sure the carbs are cleaned and synchronized.
You can have your tripple. I'll stick with twins. They're faster lighter and cheaper to rebuild than tripples.

·
Registered
282 Posts
and no center cylinder to go bad

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
YamahaVector said:
You can have your tripple. I'll stick with twins. They're faster lighter and cheaper to rebuild than tripples.
triples are faster than twins. two of my dads friends have 2 different polaris. one has an xcr700 triple and the other an 800 twin and they both agreed that the 700 is faster. but twins are more reliable and less work. but it doesnt matter to me im buyin the one guys 700 triple from him next year anyways.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If triples were so great, how come nobody manufactures them anymore??

I'll put my F6 against a ZRT 600 or XCR(XLT) 600 anyday of the week. Triples usually do have longer legs, but a properly setup twin will be in front right from start to finish.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Maybe so but, you are talking about new technology against old technology. The F series sleds are quite a bit advanced than the other sleds you mentioned.

·
Registered
170 Posts
97 Zrt 800 said:
Maybe so but, you are talking about new technology against old technology. The F series sleds are quite a bit advanced than the other sleds you mentioned.
Regardless of old versus new - triples got abandoned. There is a reason behind it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts