Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
SKI
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 700 RMK and was looking tonight and was thinking I should change the chain case lube. How do I go about doing this? I looked and didnt see any way but to remove the cover, and think that would make a mess. There has got to be a better way???

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
there is a small drain plug straight on the bottom which is either a bolt head or an allen head. you will have to come straight from the bottom through the clearance hole in the belly pan. But honestly, Ive never used it. Chaincases hold a max of 9 oz of fluid when theyre full, and if it hasnt been done for a while its probably not full. I pack the bottom of the belly pan with rags and put something under it to catch any oil which may fall to the floor and take the cover off. the rags are usually plenty to soak up the mess as not all that much comes out. I say pop the cover off, its not that bad!

·
Super Moderator
18,333 Posts
I use a suction tube to suck what I can out before taking the cover off. It's a good idea to remove the cover to get to a lot of dirt and grime that simple draining will leave behind, and it gives you a chance to inspect the sprockets and chain for damage.

You can also tilt the sled on it's side, chaincase side up, and remove the cover. Then steal the wife's turkey baster and suck out the oil. She probably won't want that turkey baster back, though...

·
Rocky Mountain POW!
53 Posts
so I was going to empty and refill my chaincase and was wondering what kind of gasket the chaincase has. I just want to know if it is reusable or if I need to get a new one before I take it apart. Or does it use make a gasket from a tube? btw it's a 97rmk 700

1 - 5 of 5 Posts