Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 F5 Sno Pro that I'm trying to sell. Its probably never been cleaned up much let alone polished up much in the past 10 years. I'm just wondering what the best way to polish it is by hand? I know that usually people use some kind of drill and ball to polish it especially if its in rougher shape but I don't have that option. About all I know is to go buy some metal polish and a rag and go at it lol. Anything else to know?

·
Super Moderator
18,375 Posts
I used Mother's metal polish on my 600 (by hand) and it turned out fine. It could definitely be polished more, but the Mothers took off the most of the oxidation and was not horribly difficult. I used it because I had some after doing some aluminum wheels. Meguiar's is good stuff, too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I used Mother's metal polish on my 600 (by hand) and it turned out fine. It could definitely be polished more, but the Mothers took off the most of the oxidation and was not horribly difficult. I used it because I had some after doing some aluminum wheels. Meguiar's is good stuff, too.
Thanks. Have you ever heard of White Diamond metal polish? That’s an option I have (not too many options unless I order online). Also do I have to use steel wool pads first and basically go at it on the tunnel with those before polishing it? Or rather should I?

EDIT: I’m logged on to two different accounts between my laptop and my phone. Sorry! Lol

·
Super Moderator
18,375 Posts
I would not use steel wool unless it's really bad as you will make a lot of micro scratches in the aluminum. I have heard of White Diamond, but have never used it. I'm betting that pretty much any polish good for aluminum wheels will work fine on the tunnel...

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you want a better shine, do some wet sanding first to prep the surface. Polish alone will never get you what you are looking for. Here is a quick video I put together a few years ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts