Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your humble or not so humble opinions, what was the best triple sled? As a relative newcomer to sledding, I haven't had the opportunity to ride a pile of sleds. Last season I tried out an Indy 650 and ever since I cant seem to get that 3 cylinder growl out of my mind. I would like everyones opinion on the best triples made as far as reliability. Then factor in the chassis its in. Who cares how fast it is if you cant stand to ride it more than an hour? I have a motorcycle like that and i'd gladly give up a couple horsepower for a little more ride-ability. Thanks for any input. Damn those triples sound cool!

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
Reliability goes to the Yamaha redhead 700 hands down. Those things go forever and get good fuel economy. Some have reported over 12k miles without touching the engine. The vmax is the model, from 1997 to 2002. Depending on the model, it has 11 inches of rear travel, and 9 up front. Also, some models had rebuildable aluminum KYB shocks, ohlins remote reservoir clicker adjustable and, or non rebuild able steel bodies.

The srx 700 had stock tripple pipes and power valves, but stay away from the 1998 and 1999 models, many had issues with the crank, although many were welded by now. It also has a short travel suspension with 8 inches rear, 6 up front.

The Yamaha Viper is also very reliable, it has a triple with power valves. suspension is the same as the vmax, but with different springs and such. It was made from 2002 to 2005.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I got 3 trips. I love my storm. But the yami is very reliable. The kids sled is no slouch either. I don't know about cats but would love to have a cat tripple. Does skidoo make a tripple?

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Yes they did and it also has a reputation for being very reliable.

But, your questions was for a sled with the best ride and a triple and that is ZRT.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
And OP, I too love that triple growl. Those 650s are great. I have the 600 version (basically the same) and I love it. If you get one, I'd suggest you swap out the suspension with an xtra10 unless it has already been done. I paid $550 for my sled and have over 500$ in parts in it! So try not to buy a sled that needs too much. Its fun to learn all of the stuff but it gets expensive.if you are looking for reliability, the 600s are usually more reliable than the 800s just because of the lower torque, but many of the 800s were pretty solid too. What I suggest you do is find sleds online you like, and you can link is to the ad, and we can tell you if its a good buy .

Sent from Snowmobile.com Free App

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I know where a formula 3 is sitting that I could get pretty cheap. I have read that they were heavy and can be a handful on the trail. That being said, I currently own 2 1990 safaris that I have been happy with, great trail sleds for the family. I just want a little more for dad, lol. I was thinking of picking up the formula because its cheap but I'm old enough to know that cheap isn't always cheap (like a motor that loves to gobble up parts).

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
yamaha- SXR (I don't think I know of any other yami triples?)
Most Yamaha's from 1997 to 2005 had a tripple, in 600 and 700 sizes, non pv, and pv. There were some with twin 500s and 600s too, especially from the first 2 years.

Models include: Vmax (first SX and Moutain Max, then XTC, and later just "vmax") SRX (Performance), SXR (Comfort) then the Viper and Venom, which was a new chassis.

Note that this doesn't include their 4 stoke triples.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know Yamaha made a pile of triples. A buddy of mine has an sxr single pipe and its plenty fast but to me I'd doesn't seem like yamaha learned much about suspension until the 2000's. They look awesome and have a reputation for reliability. I loved my old phazer but if it wasn't for the soft cushy seat I'd be typing this from a wheelchair! Haha.

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
Yamaha changed to the pro-action set up in 1997, going to a coupled design. If its dialed in it is comfortable, and miles ahead of the pogo phazers.

I know what your saying about the suspension. After riding my 440 for several years, I am sick of the 3 inches of travel. This year I upgraded to a 600 twin, due to the price difference between them and the triples. ($800 vs $1500 or so.) This was after riding my dads my dads venture 600, which has the same pro-action suspension.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I should just drive over to Michigan and pick a sled up. They are about a third more expensive here in Ontario. 1000 bucks wont get you much here. I have found the best deals are on sleds that "ran fine and now wont start" it usually something stupid. I picked up a 377 safari for 140 bucks and put an ignition box on it for 80 and the kids rode it all winter. Eventually burned a cylinder out and I sold it for parts for 300. Youre right about the twins though and thats probably what I will end up with eventually. Ive been fixing up a 1990 467 skidoo that i plan on riding this winter.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, its not really worth the trip for a 1000 dollar sled. Maybe if I was spending more. Bringing vehicles over isn't that hard. Afadavit on the US side and they like advance notice and 150 to the canucks for the form 1 required to get a Canadian ownership. I did it with my cars when we moved back to Ontario after living in the USA. Pisses us Canadians off how everything is cheaper over there. We usually head to MI with a shopping list every spring. With 4 kids, I save enough on shoes and clothes to pay for my fuel. Anywhoo back to sleds. I see there are a couple arctic cat fans here. The only cat I ever rode was a thundercat. A friend bought one that was built for a magazine article and he let me take it for a quick rip down the road. OH MY GOD is all I can say! Its more than I want in a trail sled. Seemed large and I bet they like to eat a lot of fuel.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts