Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My next sled I think is going to be a Ski-Doo. I want a 136'' or 141'' track, so that would leave me with a Summit. Which would be the better engine for a mid-late 90's Summit...the 583 or 670? I've heard good things about both but some further info would be great. I've ridden a 98 Formula 500 (s chassis) for quite a few miles and I liked it a lot. I've seen the mainly around $1500 or so. I would probably need to do a few buy/fix/sell cycles before I had enough to get one, but I plan on finding another job and saving as much as possible. Please give me the lowdown on both the 583 and 670. R.A.V.E. a recommended choice or stay away? Thanks.

·
Mountain Man
423 Posts
Both are tough engines IMO. I'm a 670 man as there's no replacement for displacement. I've got 2 670's and a 617 no problems with any of them.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Two of my favorite engines. The 670 is great. but im a big 583 fan because of the power it puts out for its size and the great reliability. Doesnt run like a 670 though. Dont get me wrong the 670's are an incredibly reliable motor but that 583 has always impressed me.

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So which one would you say gives the most get up and go power? I've heard the 583's are very smooth in their power delivery. Are the 670's the same? Also, to R.A.V.E. or not to R.A.V.E.?

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
I had a mach 1 with the 670 and it would move but i think a 583 is better out the hole.

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm more looking for out of the hole pull, but also some decent top speed, like around 90 or so. I won't be climbing anything much taller than 15 feet or so, but we get some pretty deep snow with good drifts around here and a short track sometimes can't handle it very well. I think I've decided on a 583 after doing more research. I think I want R.A.V.E. too. (maybe they all come with it?).

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I've been thinking also but wasn't 100% sure. I saw on wiki answers one guy asked how much hp his 1997 583 was putting out and got the answer anywhere from 95-115. Pretty respectable amount in my mind. I'm not doing much research on the 670 because I'm pretty sure the 583 is what I want. I don't need the extra climbing power the 670 would give me, and I'm sure the 583 has more than enough.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Rave has been on almost every liquid cooled skidoo since the late 80's. In case you dont know rave stands for Rotax Adjustable Variable Exhaust. Its a good system that works well and doesnt need much maintnence.
If you want a sled that gets up and flat moves your looking for a 670, and depending on the year you can really make that thing run for very cheap.

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting. I knew that RAVE was an exhaust valve system and has been around for longer than the others. I'm pretty torn between the two...I guess I'll just get whichever one I can find cheaper.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I dont want to tell you which one to get but your looking at a mountain sled with a long track and in the hills theres no replacement for displacement. 670 is the way to go in your case IMO. Especially if your leaning towards a 144".

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
it don't sound like you need a mountain sled to me. you said you wasn't doing anything over 15 feet. but how deep does the snow get there? even like a 136 with 2 inch lugs work good in deep snow also. the 583 will be better out the hole but 670 more on top end.

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We get around 2-3' or so with drifts in excess of about 6 feet. I'm lookin for a 136-141 with 1.5'' paddles max. Maybe I don't NEED one, but it would sure be nice to have some days. You won't be losing a whole lot of trail manners with a 136 either, so it seems like about the perfect size for around here. The 141 you would lose a bit more but have a little extra flotation which is really what I am looking for. I don't need 2'' paddles or anything bigger, just 1.5''s or so.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
If you could find a powder special for a good price thatd be a good option to, not sure if those has 1.375 lugs or 1.5, but should be perfect.. Sounds like ur set on skidoo tho

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm set on whatever I can find a deal on. I'm really not too biased. I have had a Polaris and Cat and my brother had a Yamaha, all have been good sleds. Since Doo is the only one I haven't owned yet, I figured why not. I'm lookin for a cheaper non-running sled to do a turnaround on so I can get to makin some more money, but haven't found much yet.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I actually really, really don't like those sleds. Still a good deal just the same. I'm lookin for non runners to fix up and sell. Right now is the prime time to be selling, though. People still want $500+ for non running sleds.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
wow sleds must be more in SD than here. i can get 90's here non running or even running rough for 200-500

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually it's Minneapolis I look on the most. MN is the most effed up state ever. Sorry to you guys who live there, but IMO, it is. South Dakota has some good deals, they're just usually too new for me to be able to afford, and also not a whole lot gets put up on there for SD.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts