Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1991 400LC, 1994 XLT SKS, 2007 IQ 600 HO, 1991 340 sport, 1990 440 sport, 1999 XC 500, 1999 XC 700
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm looking into building a nice ditch banger/trail sled. I was wondering what guys have done and what they recommend. It would be mostly for ditches and some trails. Main thing I am wondering is what would be the best platform to start, than what things to do first.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
18,403 Posts
If you are hitting things hard and want to stick to Polaris, look for an Assault. They have a beefier suspension than the regular RMK or SKS. They are made to order for your intended use. The ride is a bit harsh, but that is the price you pay for not breaking things as much.

If you are not looking to buy something else, then the more travel your suspension has, the better it will respond to hitting the ground. So your IQ sled will be a better choice to modify than the LC or SKS.

Adding air shocks will also help that. Buying air shocks new is really spendy, but sometimes you can find deals at swap meets, ebay, or in some of the forums.

·
Registered
1991 400LC, 1994 XLT SKS, 2007 IQ 600 HO, 1991 340 sport, 1990 440 sport, 1999 XC 500, 1999 XC 700
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are hitting things hard and want to stick to Polaris, look for an Assault. They have a beefier suspension than the regular RMK or SKS. They are made to order for your intended use. The ride is a bit harsh, but that is the price you pay for not breaking things as much.

If you are not looking to buy something else, then the more travel your suspension has, the better it will respond to hitting the ground. So your IQ sled will be a better choice to modify than the LC or SKS.

Adding air shocks will also help that. Buying air shocks new is really spendy, but sometimes you can find deals at swap meets, ebay, or in some of the forums.
Okay, thanks for the reply. I've been looking for an assault for a while but there isn't many that I have seen that are decent price and near me. I will keep looking. Thanks again for the reply!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more thing I was wondering was what things change from the assault to the rmk. Is it only gearing, clutching, stance (including shocks) and track length/lug high? Is there an additional cooler on the assault or any other differences between the two?

·
Super Moderator
18,403 Posts
The biggest thing is the suspension. The Assault has a more robust suspension, especially the rails. The first Assault also had a LOT different track, the lugs on it looked like they belonged on a snowcat track instead of a snowmobile

·
Registered
26,229 Posts
I have built a few Ditch Bangers.
Around here in North Central Illinois we get a Tease of snow 2" sometimes thats it!
So I built a low snow ditch banger that has room for the cooler!
91 SRV fan cooled good hp Mikuni big bore carb 6" riser 01 SRX suspension
121 x 1" studed track different bars with hand guards extended bumper with cooler mount
I did massage the porting and exhaust a bit and she is a runner!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, if I found a good deal on a RMK would it be possible and worth converting it have a wider stance and different shock? There is a bunch of RMK's near me and I have found a couple good deals but haven't seen much of anything for assaults. Would it be possible to convert it and if so is it worth it?
Thanks for the replys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts