Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

My ongoing saga of my 1996 Touring SLE 500 with the engine I bought in pieces.

The crank had broken so I ordered a used crank off Ebay since I could not find one locally. This crank needed two bearings replaced so I dropped it off with a local sled shop and picked it up a few days later. Now that the engine is together, I got it fired up, and its running quite nicely. Today I take it for a short spin around the house and I'm going easy on it (because I just put it together) and it seemed to have a slight vibration, but nothing major. Never went over maybe 30km/h. I stopped the sled under my yardlight and opened the hood looking for any oil leaks etc. As its idling I kind of notice the clutch wobbling. I shut the engine off and as the engine comes to a stop there is an obvious wobble. WHAT???

So, my plan is to take the engine out and bring it to the shop to show them the wobble and see what they say. I'm really kind of ticked because I have over 300 bucks invested in this crank and I hope its not junk. Can they be straightened? Or, did the guy re-assemble it wrong?

What amazed me was that you could hardly feel any vibration at all, but I don't feel right running the engine this way. I even took the clutch off thinking it was the clutch, but its obvious that its the crank.

Ryan.

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
You say you did take the clutch off and check that it was indeed the crank that had the wobble to it?
My first idea was that the clutch was not seated properly..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah...

I pulled the cord with the clutch off and you can see the crank moving up and down. I thought the clutch was doing it, but definitely not.

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
Um, you might just be running low on a little thing called luck i think man. if you can visibly see the the total run-out on that crank is off wack, somethings not straight in there.

Unfortunately I don't know whether incorrect installation of bearings will/can cause that. someone else will have to say for sure. But you can bet that shop will say it must have been bent in the first place. any guarantee on that ebay buy?

·
Breaker of Balls
313 Posts
you were smart to not ride it around more after you noticed the wobble, it could've been MUCH worse! you have to be careful on ebay, you can get duped easy. only buy from sellers with a rating of 98.5%+ and at least 200 items sold.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brought the engine by the shop today...

They agreed that it wasn't right and said they would send it back to their guy that does this work for them. We discussed the issue at lenght, and they are being really good about it.

But, after tearing the engine apart tonight, it looks to me like it happened after it was running. Once the case was split I turned the crank in the housing and it really wobbled in the bottom half of the case. Never did that when I assembled it.

When I originally took the crank to them to change two of the bearings, they noticed that the crank had started to "walk" and that the guy would fix that. He did, but now we are thinking that the pin on that side of the crank is bad. I will give them my busted crank which has two good pins in it and see if between the two they can make a good crank.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out...

the crank went out of phase because of not enough bearing support. So, the bottom line is, I need a new engine case, both parts. They said if my case was fine the crank would not have "walked". They said once I get a new case that I can simply get the crank re-phased and it will work fine in a better case.

So, anybody in the Edmonton area with a good 503 case?

·
Super Moderator
16,806 Posts
I had that issue, sent the case to SLP and they machined it and line-bored it to true it up. It was a lot cheaper than a new case, you may want to give them a call to see if they can do something for yours too...

www.startinglineproducts.com

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good idea!

I know on the old volkswagen engines they do align boring, this is essentially the same thing. I'll make some calls tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No such luck here..

I called every machine shop in Edmonton. Only one said that they would do a snowmobile engine, but it would be very costly as they would have to custom build a jig to fit such a small block in their machine.

So, I'm down to finding a good set of used cases.

Anybody in the Edmonton area have a set of cases?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah...

One of the places I called offered to ship it to Quebec where they get theirs done.

I think I'm going to look for a used engine rather than ship it away and find out that its too far gone to be repaired. Nobody here would guarantee that it would work.

I had a guy offer me a 503, but it was from the early 80's. I would rather have a newer one as they had a better design in regards to the bearings and crank.

Fingers crossed.

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
What engine do you have? just happened to see this one on CL in my area
ski doo 583 engine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts