Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '93 Polaris that I just found out has a bent crank. When we were trying to get it started this season we noticed the clutch wobbling slightly. I took it by the Polaris shop and they tell me the crank is bent and the only remedy is to replace it.

I checked a couple places (PMC North America and Northern Crankshaft) and they're asking $450-$550 exchange. Gulp. I don't know if I want to spend that kind of money on a 4000 mile sled that has never ran that great in the first place. I paid $1700 for it but at least I got some use out of it :(

I'm a snowmobile novice and hope to learn a lot reading these forums. I bought this machine last year and it ran good once you got it started, but it was terrible to start all the time. No matter the weather or elevation.

Anyway I'm looking for advice on whether to fix it or dump it, how good are Polaris Triples, how good can mine be made to run (reliability and startability are more important that high performance), if I dump it what should I look for in the $1500-$2000 range, etc. etc. I'm sure you guys have your opinions on this :)

Thanks a bunch!

Vaughn

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have rebuilt many snowmobile cranks and never seen one that was total junk. There are lots of crank shops out there that can rebuild it. chances are you just spun a lob on the shaft that will put a wobble in the shaft. You also probably lost the end bearings and seal in the pto side if you can see the wobble. Just rebuilt a ski doo mxz crank with the same problem cost about $150 to have 2 new pto side bearings pressed on and shaft ballanced.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Like slim said it's probably not actually bent. Polaris triples quite frequently seem to get an offset or twist in them. Since they are pieced and pressed together rather than being forged, machined, and ground as in a one-piece crank they can be repaired quite easily. If you have dial indicators You might be able to do the work yourself but it is probably a lot easier to have a good small engine shop do it. They can also press apart and replace any bearings and other parts that need to be replaced.

·
Speed Consultant
51 Posts
There are 2 things that make the crank crap out on the older XLT sleds. One is driving it when the clutch is wore out. and two is not fogging it properly when storing it for the summer. It sounds like the PTO bearing toasted on your crank. Most of the time if one bearing is toast there are more. It can get very expensive to rebuild an XLT crank if done properly. Riley

1 - 6 of 6 Posts