Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading through the service manual today goin through things I could check> Belt to Sheave Clearance. I checked my sled and the clearance was more than the .020" than it should be. What would this effect? Also in the Jetting Compensation chart it says Cut Away 6.5. What dos this mean? Thanks everyone.

·
Administrator
19,291 Posts
Excessive belt clearance will require the weights to shift the movable sheave a greater distance before engagement. You may also not get full shift out of the sled because of the excessive clearance. To change the clearance requires disassembly of the clutch, which requires several hundred dollars worth of tools. Most guys live with it, or buy a wider belt.

The cut-away is the shape of the slide in the carburator. The bottom of the slide has different profiles for different applications. You can change the cut-away for elevation changes, for example.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dan. I'm going to try a wider belt. See if that helps. Cut Away makes sense. So what's the best way to adjust the idle? THe service manual has the air screw setting but not the idle setting?

·
Administrator
19,291 Posts
Set the air screws to get fastest idle, and then set the idle screws to get the RPM you want. Try to keep the settings on both carbs close to the same. Most Mikuni round slides will work fine with the air screw at one turn out, then the idle RPM set from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.