Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After just having the motor and drive case on my 97 ZRT 600+ rebuilt, I have been very excited about riding it. The power and performance is much better than before and I am happy for the most part. The whole shot is a little slow, so I tried putting in some heavy clutch weights that came with the sled. After doing this I went out riding and broke belts when I went over 90mph. These belts oddly snapped cleanly like someone cut them with a scissors.
I put the old clutch weights back in and settled for this performance. Everything was ok until I shattered another belt yesterday while hitting top speeds. The belts don’t seem to fall apart, they just explode like tire. The belt will always break when running at high speed (90+) for long distances.
Any suggestions?

Jason Johnson
Lincoln, NE

·
Registered
431 Posts
With the old clutch weights in, is it a stock clutch???? Sounds like you got a goofy secondary thats shifting out too fast. what rpm are you running at 90 when this happens?????

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm thinking your clutch is broken. My Citation had a problem like this, except the Belt would just burn and slip. There would be none of those grippy thing son the belt afterwards and we went through two belts in like 1 or 2 weeks. We replaced the clutch and now it's running better...well it was until my dad blew the clutch last week:(

-Jed

·
Registered
121 Posts
Belt burner

if you had the motor out of it the clutches need to be lined up or you'll burn belts one after another. Sounds like thats the problem. Heavier weights won't break a belt but if you just drop in heavier weights without changing anything else your performance will be lacking. The heavier weights will give you the holeshot but it won't shift out on the top end.

·
Registered
96 Posts
yup your right zrtease. Alignment is my guess too.

To much heat build up. what kind of belt you running? You may need to step it up to a better quality belt (hard compound). Dont use those cheap dayco belts for like 22.99. They dont last long at all. Dayco belts are good, dont get me wrong. But stay away from the 22.99 ones. There good for like a 500cc and under sled.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't want to butt into this thread but im gonna cause I need some help and can't find any answers. I cracked the secondary clutch pully, does anyone have any idea how this would of cracked? I replaced the belt by just sliding it over the pully sort of how you put a bicycle chain on, is that the correct method to install a belt? It was on a 86 polaris indy trail, is the sled worth fixing? Where can I find a pully?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Belt breaking

I assume that the Arctic cat Dealer I spent $1100.00 with new how to align the clutches.
How can I find out if they are perfectly in line?
Secondly, I am running an arctic cat #0627-010 belt, is this the best? I have broke the 010 and the 012

1 - 9 of 9 Posts