Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've got the 1999 Jag 340's motor slid into the 1999 Z 370 chassis. Had to squeeze the expansion chamber section of the exhaust in there, but it seems to be fitting good enough. The Y pipes on both were different bolt patterns and one longer than the other. So I've got the 340 expansion chamber connecting up to the 370 muffler.

Everything else was pretty much plug and play.

But now the big question, which belt should I use? If could get the secondaries off, I'd swap them, but they look to be identical and they are very stubborn.

Jag 340 0627-012 Dayco HP 3036 47-3/4" x 1-3/8"
Z 370 0627-021 Dayco HP 3038 47-3/4" x 1-13/32"

What is interesting, is that I didn't have the 021 belt, I do have two 020's and a 012 belt.
020 is identical to the 021, but is harder than the 021.

·
Super Moderator
1,987 Posts
Run the 020 and set it so that the clutch almost wants to grab
Also since you had it out check for over squareness
Put a carpenters square across the plugs and against the driven
If anything you want the front clutch side to be just forward of square
So that when the engine is under load it will be square
Set the C-C 12 1/4" and remove secondary shims to get belt tight

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, took it out of the garage today and got a surprise, it runs extremely well and my son and I both agree, it gets from 0-40 quicker than either the Jag or the Z ever did.

I had the alignment tool and it all checked out perfectly, I was really expecting to make some adjustments, but it just slid right in. Probably better aligned than it ever has been. LOL

340 Y pipe, to the 340 Expansion chamber to the 370 muffler makes a pretty cool sound too. Not sure what the difference is, but it is slightly louder than the Jag used to be, just a different pitch to it. I took it around the house a few times, then my son took it for a short ride down the trail. Came back with a smile on his face.

It's ugly and had a huge riser on it, but it is actually a fun little machine. Got the heated grips working again, the lights were just ones I had laying around. I was going to handlebar mount the one in the middle, but needed to build a bracket for it. I'll probably do that later and problem make it a projection light. All those lights are fog lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A side note to all this. Tore into the 370 motor that came out of the Z and it showed signs of lean burn on the PTO side. I suspect there is a leak on that side. The gaskets didn't show any sign of leaking, and I've not taken the clutch off yet to look at the seal. Judging by where the oil/fuel has sprayed inside the shroud, I'd say it was the base gasket. Mag side looks perfect. Strangely enough, both tested good for compression, but the damage to the PTO side would explain why it would not run so great after about an hour of riding.

Going to box the motor up for now along with the Jag carcass. Worry about it next summer when I can spread out for a long term project.

My next project will be quick, I just need to go through the carbs on the Summit. But after that, another rebuild of the Touring 380. I do have a guy looking at bone-yard sleds for a 500 fan cooled motor that I can slide into that Touring. So I'll give him time to look around and if he finds something, I'll probably rebuild the 500 motor and slide it into the Touring. Few extra ponies in that thing would help it a lot.

·
Super Moderator
1,987 Posts
Funny how we can really make something out of something much less

I've done a bunch to my Ditch banger squad

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Very cool project Bear! Glad it worked out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts