Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, first things first...I know nothing about snowmobiles. I was given a 1997 polaris iny 440 xtra10. It needed a new belt put on it which I also received. I verified it was the right belt. How do I get it on? LOL I have tried turning the belt on with sled raised and belt seems to small. The cluth has 3 bolts with a cam that turns. All videos I find show a tool to use, but there is no hole 4 it. Please help!!

·
Registered
481 Posts
IF it is a Polaris belt it should be a 3211042 or 3211070 as they are the same belt. And yes it will seem like it is too small to be put on.

The way I do it is I have the back end of the sled off the ground so you can turn the secondary clutch by hand. Then I put it on the primary clutch first then I put it on top of the secondary clutch it will look like it won't fit as the bottom part will not be on, while I am holding it on top I have someone else turn the secondary clutch by hand in reverse and it then pops right on.

IF you have just gotten this I would recommend doing a lot of preseason maintenance as well. And getting a spare belt for it as belts can shred while out on the trail. If none of the preseason maintenance has been done let us know and we can make up a list of stuff for you to go through!

I have a '98 Indy 440 L/C with the xtra-10 and can help you with w/e you need for it including clutching upgrades that make a world of difference with that engine.

Welcome and enjoy your new toy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks coolhand. Gonna give it a try. I did get a spare belt with it and I would really appreciate if you could provide me with a preseason checklist. I am trying to study up so I can get to know more about snowmobiles. Thank you again for your help.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Yesterday I got my Michigan snowmobile magazine and they had a good preseason check list

If your old belt is not worth saving cut about a 3" piece of it, push it in between the clutches into the driven,
if you have a belt on you can pull up on the belt and push the piece in farther, opening the driven
Leave the piece in and replace the belt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your help and comments. Sure wish I could return the favors. Hopefully sometime and somehow I can. This forum is GREAT! The people, the help. Thank you all again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to admit my fault...lol. I had said earlier the belts were correct when I checked. Thank you coolhand for those part #'s, I checked again and the belt is for a ski-doo and @ 3.5 inches smaller around. Wow, that will make a difference trying to put it on. I ordered the correct one, be here in a couple days. Thank you all again for your help and comments. I really appreciate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts