Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1992 indy sp efi 500

I searched on this and found spark plugs caused this, so I installed new oe ones and same issue.

This happens at idle after it has been at idle for like 10 minutes. With a meter on the battery, it is not charging at idle, but does when it gets RPM's weather light is off or flashing.

Is this normal? If not, where or how do I go about troubleshooting the issue? The problem is consistent, so replicating it should be easy.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Why install new OE ones? Please tell me you didn't buy them at the dealer. Battery light is on because battery is shot. Those sleds need a battery at its absolute best or it will give you issues. Trust me on this. Even one volt down will cause an issue with that sled. For plugs buy NGK BR8ES or BR8EIX from a fleet farm or auto parts store or w/e is cheaper. Those plugs are at best 3 bucks a piece for the standard ones. I have never heard of a spark plug causing the battery light to come on with one of those EFI sleds and that goes back to working at a Polaris dealership in the '90s.

Cheapest battery is just a lawnmower battery, or look up the proper one as some years used different battery numbers for some odd reason. Many have used lawnmower batteries for their sleds for years and the costs are cheap at 20 bucks a piece vs 40 and up for something else. I personally go AGM and have it on a trickle charger out of the sled year round till I use the sled since it takes 5 minutes to hook it back up. If you put a trickle charger on it with the battery in the sled make sure the connections are not connected to the battery or it will send voltage throughout the sled non stop which isn't good.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why install new OE ones? Please tell me you didn't buy them at the dealer. Battery light is on because battery is shot. Those sleds need a battery at its absolute best or it will give you issues. Trust me on this. Even one volt down will cause an issue with that sled. For plugs buy NGK BR8ES or BR8EIX from a fleet farm or auto parts store or w/e is cheaper. Those plugs are at best 3 bucks a piece for the standard ones. I have never heard of a spark plug causing the battery light to come on with one of those EFI sleds and that goes back to working at a Polaris dealership in the '90s.

Cheapest battery is just a lawnmower battery, or look up the proper one as some years used different battery numbers for some odd reason. Many have used lawnmower batteries for their sleds for years and the costs are cheap at 20 bucks a piece vs 40 and up for something else. I personally go AGM and have it on a trickle charger out of the sled year round till I use the sled since it takes 5 minutes to hook it back up. If you put a trickle charger on it with the battery in the sled make sure the connections are not connected to the battery or it will send voltage throughout the sled non stop which isn't good.
So no worries and get a battery?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
What are the volts showing on the battery by itself when there is no charger on it and out of sled. That will tell you for sure, also when was the battery purchased by old owner, if over 2 years then junk it and buy a new one. But I would wait till the fall to buy one unless you have a trickle charger to put on it when it is not in use. I had a AGM battery in mine last almost 5 years because as soon as I got back with the sled I pulled the connections and put the trickle charger on it. And during the off-season it was hooked up to that charger non-stop 24/7.

There is one thing you could try, if it is one of the ones where you pour acid in you could dump the old acid, spend 5 bucks on a bottle of new acid pour it in and put it on a slow charge for several days and hope it comes back but normally that doesn't work.

Also another thing that could be bad and you should check is the voltage regulator as well. Those are a known issue with Polaris sleds regardless if they have batteries or not. Those are about a 10 dollar part so you should check that out as well. With the condition that thing was in it wouldn't shock me if that needs replacing as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts