Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I took apart my suspension on my 91 Jag AFS Special and I found a few more problems I have to fix before I get it on the snow, I got a bad bearing in one of the wheels but don't know how to get it off. there seems to be a metal pipe fitting that goes on after the wheel but it wont budge. Any Idea's? here's a picture.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Super Moderator
18,338 Posts
Alpha Sports - Arctic Cat Snowmobile Catalog

I looked at the parts diagram, it looks like the bearing should slide off. I have had poor success getting those bearings off with the wheel still on the bearing. If you can get the circlip out of the wheel and remove the wheel, you can get a puller on there and pull off the bearing. The corrosion can really make it tough. I have resorted to using a hammer and whacking the wheel off the bearing, which damaged the wheel, but it was still usable. I was lucky and anticipated having to buy a new wheel and bearing. Placement of that circlip really is a poor design in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yup i've worked on those sleds before. It should slide off. When their on there for a long time they will lock themself on the shaft. If you are replacing the wheels then you may have to try and tap them out with hammer and a piece of bar stock. Don't be afraid to bang a little since you are getting a new one. You can try a gear puller if you have one. They are on there from the factory with what is called a "slip fit". It doesn't take much corrosion to lock it on there.

·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so a lot of brute force, I'll see what I can do but I already know that circlip's going to suck :laugh:

·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There was no hope for getting the clips off so I just smashed them with a hammer and the wheels eventually came off but those bearings aren't going anywhere, I tried heating them and hitting until my arm fell off. I don't even think a gear puller would do it so I'm a little stuck at the moment.

·
Registered
477 Posts
You might as well get new wheels with the bearing in it, ready to go(about $22 a piece). Unless your on a strick budget or limited time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That sucks when every thing is frozen together. What you should do is take every nut and bolt out and apply never seize or something of that sort to all the bolts and places where parts dont move to often....Will benefit in the long run

·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea and I'm used to working on rusty old sleds but this is just a poor design with a combo of bad maintenance, anyway I managed to get my hands on a gear puller and I'm going to try it out soon so I'll let you know what the outcome is.

·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Success! I underestimated the gear puller because with a little bit of mapp gas both pulled right off! and where the bearing sits its raised (not flush) with the rest of the shaft so its not that bad of a design after all. pumped I got this done in less than a day because this weekend were supposed to get hit. anyway here's a picture of the damaged bearing(if you can still call it that)

·
oh canada hmmmhmmmhmm
1,370 Posts
been there on a restore project that bits glad to hear you got it off

·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, I also rebuilt a SS440 years ago and it was the same deal with that sled, rust everywhere, my wire brush was so worn out after that sled:laugh: some nuts were literately buried. Ended up being a super reliable sled though.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Where in the Metro Detroit area are located? I live in Grand Rapids, but work in Shelby Township and stay down here all week. I have Phosphoric Acid dip tanks at my shop and would be more than happy to de-rust your parts for you. I wouldn't charge you, just trying to help out and pay it forward. Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thats awsome [email protected]! They say harley guys stick together, i think sled guys are even tighter. I rode with a group of guys last year and my zrt 600 carbs froze up the next morning. So the guys i was riding with (that i only knew for a day) stepped in and let me ride one of their extra sleds for the rest of the weekend. I have seen people give up parts off of their sled to get someone back to riding again. Hats off to [email protected]!!!

·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Where in the Metro Detroit area are located? I live in Grand Rapids, but work in Shelby Township and stay down here all week. I have Phosphoric Acid dip tanks at my shop and would be more than happy to de-rust your parts for you. I wouldn't charge you, just trying to help out and pay it forward. Let me know if you're interested.
No way I live in Shelby, 25 and Schoenherr. Seriously that would be greatly appreciated man, wheres your shop at? Everythings in pieces right now so it wouldn't be a huge hassle ripping it apart.

·
oh canada hmmmhmmmhmm
1,370 Posts
Hey can you dip an entire truck also? oh wait i wouldn't have one after that. thanks anyway :)

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
No way I live in Shelby, 25 and Schoenherr. Seriously that would be greatly appreciated man, wheres your shop at? Everythings in pieces right now so it wouldn't be a huge hassle ripping it apart.
Ha ha, you're going to love this... I'm at 23 and Schoener. I'm literally 2 miles away. My name is Chris, and I'm the general manager of my shop. We do parts deburring for manufacturing. Anyway, I'll PM you with my cell number.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts