Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the signs of the voltage regulator not working? I have read on some other forums that a guy was having trouble with his edge not running correctly and he said that at one point he lost all light riding on the trail and then they came back on but most of the bulbs had blown. I have posted on here on another thread about my edge cutting out and stalling along with having no power. I also had the same problem happen last year on the trail of losing all lights and then some of the bulbs being blown. During this time is where I started having all the problems with the sled not going over 45mph and having no power. Would this be my issue? If so is there a way to test to see if mine is not working correctly?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would this have any effect on spark and how the sled would run?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
A bad voltage regulator will blow bulbs or cause them to go from dim to bright and back again frequently.

The voltage regulator doesn't play into the spark - that comes from the stator.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
eh, well, you're both mostly right.

Stator is just the term for the non-moving coils of a generator/alternator.

There are two circuits to a stator, one for ignition and one for lighting/accessories.

The voltage regulator is only connected to the lighting/accessories. Bad voltage regulator will have no effect on spark. It will, however, cause too much voltage to the lights and accessories, thus blowing the bulbs and hot grips can actually melt.

Where I would start to troubleshoot that is first, is the connector between the motor and the rest of the system. Typically 4-5 prongs. I've seen these melt and lose connection or short against each other. That would cause all of the symptoms you listed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have replaced the voltage regulator and I am going to test the sled out on Sunday. Would the stator be the same part out of a 2002 XCSP 800?

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Take a quick look at that connector I mentioned. I had a couple of machines where one of the blade connectors was not actually connected, but rather just pressed next to it. Bad connection, it melted the molex connector. One was so bad that I had to replace it. Being a very old machine (1985), I just used a trailer pigtail connector for both sides. (ha!). The other machine was a 2002 and while it had melted the molex, it wasn't bad enough to where it didn't hold and insulated the connectors.

·
Registered
747 Posts
That plug is for the electrical circuits. The spark portion comes through the rubber triangular plug at least it did on the Fuji engines.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
The kill wire typically comes through the same plug as the accessory circuits.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 97 600 EXT. lights are dimming then coming back on. It happened once last year but still got a few more rides out of it. Now this year from the first start up it spends more time dim then bright. Seems to be ok until the machine is good and warm. Could it be just coincidence.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts