Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
27,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had some issues with my Skidsteer trailer over the years and may have just found the problem?
When I loaded my new (to me) 943 Bob Cat, I crushed the fenders.
Well I got the fenders off and about to replace with removable, I noticed that the tires were not square to the frame?
Well I took the axels loose from the springs and did some measuring.
One side they are about a half inch forward, and the other a half inch back?
The axels were an inch off from each other!
I bought this trailer new (in 1996) I know it has been beat up and all but how could they be that much off?
Better yet how to fix it?
I was thinking to just cut the hole in the mount plate out a bit oval and adjust the axel on the springs, but a half inch on each side?

· Registered
613 Posts
I'd look at the bushing inside the leaf spring eyes. And on the spring equalizer ? If they are worn or if a spring is broke would certainly cause your issue. One thing to look at before major "surgery"

· Registered
27,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's where I started. I replaced the shackles and bolts and that didn't help much.
I did all that then removed the axle U bolts and measured!
The brackets that mount the springs is off a full inch!

· Registered
27,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah there is a center bolt threw the springs. And they are in the center, I thought maybe they were off center too.
But nope the springs are centered.
I measured from the tounge to the center spring bolt, and there is an inch difference!
As well as from tounge to the front spring mount.
So it appears for the last 20 years (bought it new in 96) the tire were out of square!

So what do you think of just leaving the spring mounts alone, and notching the axel mounts and putting them the right distances?
How I noticed this was that the front of the tire on one side was 1/4" closer to the frame than the rear of the same tire!

· Registered
27,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that was my first thought.
But the 6" channel that makes the tounge is at the end where the front spring is welded.
So either I would have a gap or I would have to cut that too?
Im just not that confident in my welds!
So what I did was notch both sides a half inch each way and I hope that with new U bolts it stays put!

· Registered
613 Posts
You could also fill in the notch behind the bolt after moving it with weld to pprevent it moving out of alignment

· Registered
27,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it has been this way since new and the rest of the trailer has been reworked several times!
I like the idea of filling it in! I could even, drill a thin plate and get it centered and then weld it!
Thanx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.