Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many Arctic Cat owners know over heating on trails is quite common. I am designing a secondary Inter Cooler that fits into the front mountain bumper that will provide additional cooling while riding on the trails to the deeper snow. Has anyone heard of this being done? Thanks

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Most people just use ice scratchers when out on the trails to kick up snow onto the coolers. That is something that is done on most sleds. They are a universal mount and are not all that expensive around 50-100 bucks for a complete install kit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coolhand -- I completely understand what you are saying. Under low snow or a groomed trail where there is not a lot of snow being kicked up by the scratchers or better yet you have to go at a pretty good clip to get the engine too stay cool I am trying to figure out a compromise for the Alpha. I have a radiator for a Kawasaki Motor bike that with a little help will fit directly into the mountain bumper and with a little re plumbing will add additional cooling capabilities to the Alpha. I can't see the downside too this and I will never have to stop and put the scratchers down or better yet put them back up if this works. I am not trying to be a dick just looking for some feedback if anyone has thought of this or if they know someone who has attempted to do this. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
17,383 Posts
I was able to purchase an extra radiator for a 1997 RMK that was having overheating issues. They are out there in the after-market.

Even with an extra radiator, I would still want ice scratchers. The ice chips also lubricate the track clips and keep the temperature of the clips cool enough that they won't melt into the hyfax material. Just adding engine cooling won't do anything for the track.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, My friend still thinks he is a young man and loves to tear it up. I can't wait for the day when he hits a tree stump.

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
OK Then count from where it is and make note so it can be put back!
Sleds are designed to keep the skis down
The other thing would be to tighten the front track spring and loosen the back.
Seriously keep track of what you change by how much, he will want to put it back!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I completely agree with you. I think I will just sit back and watch this gong show happen and then have a "I told you so " moment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts