Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to all formula deluxe, mxz, mxz sb, mxz me, and mxz sbme owners with the 700. this only pertains to the 2000 model year.
trust me, if your reading this, and have not had this problem yet, you will thank me later for this information. I just got back form the dealership today, i had them do a little research for me looking into what possibly caused the mag side bearings to go out on my sled. i had got wind of a possible flaw in design on skidoo's part, something that they are aware of, but are not making it common knowledge. apparently, they do not have the correct counter balance on the crank, and unless your under waranty, its your problem!!!!!!!! the service manager called bombardier today to find info on this and they got quiet when he brought up the previously mentioned problem. they basically said, yes theres a problem....but we not going to tell you, but there is info on our webpage(dealers page) pertaining to it. the service manager had to go to the dealers page and look through all the tech articles to find the fix, eventually, he did. there are 2 ways to correct the problem....
1: replace the crankshaft with 1 with the correct counter weight(this will set you back $1600 if its a Bombardier part)
OR
2: have your dealer order the repair parts(approx. $75)

or they also recommend that if you dont have the problem YET, and do not want to buy any of the recommended repair parts, to turn up the oiling system to give the engine extra oil, which will HELP slow down the possible problem, but not prevent it.

I chose to have them order the $75 in repair parts, since i dont have the $1600 for a new crank, AND told them to turn the oil pump up a tad, it never hurts to have a little more lube running through, its better than not enough.

so take this as you wish, just thought id pass this info along.
hope i can help someone from going through what im doing now.
Good Luck

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well, as of this last saturday, its been 2 weeks without my sled. all the parts came in this past monday, and found out at that time that the "bad" bearings welded themselves to the crank, so now i have to get a new mag side crank shaft. woo hoo, another $400 i have to spend because the morons at skidoo couldnt put the right counterweight on the crank from day 1. Im still looking at another week and a half before my sled is finished. I have called and left a complaint at bombardier customer service, they say they are going to investigate it, i hope they do something for me, sure its 4 years old, but think of it this way.....i bought it new left over in march of 2001, had it summerized the first year with under 500 miles on it. as of now, there still only 1926 miles on the machine. in my opinion, it should be just about broke in....not BROKE completely

any thoughts or suggestions on how i should be handling this? this makes me wish they could give me a loaner while mine is being fixed(like auto repair).lol

·
Registered
275 Posts
Wanna hear a real kicker, just go in a polaris 550 ss today with less than 500 miles on it with a blown piston. Customer states warrenty was void cause he didnt read of the recall posted, meaning on internet, to bring sleds in for adjustment or fix, so now hes up sh*t creek. If he would have made payments instead of outright cash then they would have gotten the notice from the dealer to bring it in. Now thats a crock. Head is shot, rod bent, crank vibrates bad on the lathe. By the time and money of repairs he can get a newer used sled cheaper.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ski doo was trying to keep this under wraps, only repairing the ones that went out under warranty, and trying to screw the ones that went out, out of warranty. they know this is an issue, but revealed nothing to dealerships or customers, if it came up, they miraculously had a fix for it right away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts