Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ZR700 was basically a free machine that came with my covered trailer. She's a 94. It was obvious when I got it that somebody hit something with it because the bumper was bent pretty good. However, it has this charm about it that I'm drawn to. She starts REALLY easily, has 128 psi on each cylinder, decent track, and seems decent mechanically. Somebody must have done something to it because after I had the carbs cleaned and new cables put on, she's a screamer. I has the stock can but it's loud. I thought my ZRT600 was faster, but now I'm not so sure. Anyway, I love the way it rides and handles.

Here's the delema... I had a new speedo cable put on it and had them check the bearings and the adapter on the end. The speedo worked for one ride and then quit again. I took it back to the place that did the repair and demanded they make good. Well, after they finally got to it, they said the bearings were ok but found evidence of some scraping in the chain case. They told me that the sled's frame is bent and causing a slight mis-alignment of the sprockets, maybe an 1/8". They cleaned it up, put back together and said the chain really is fine and should last because it's been this way for a long time. They must have put in a new key on the other end because the speedo works again. They advised me that because it runs and rides so well, think of it as a "loaner" sled. My wife loves it and I do to.

The cross roads for me here is whether I just ride it out for the season or when ever, part it out and get the most $$$ I can and get another sled, or find a rolling chasis to put my engine into. I found a really nice EXT 580 of the same year that just needs an engine but he wants $500 for it.

My ZRT600 is really a much nicer, newer, cleaner sled with only 400 miles on her, but there's just something about this one that I dig. What would you do?

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd ride the newer one! Sell the ZR and mod the baby ZRT!
Nice plan, but the wifey is now hooked... bad! Honestly, I'm torn between parting it out and getting the most cash, and picking up something a bit newer or finding a nice rolling chasis to transplant the 700 into. For now, the wife love the way it runs and rides and so do I.

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
id go with the transplant myself.
im weird like that!:cheeky4:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts