Snowmobile Forum banner

981 - 996 of 996 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,141 Posts
I would first suspect a leaking needle/seat or a stuck float. That can cause the carb bowl to overfill, spilling fuel into the engine bay. Another possible place is the fuel pump or the impulse line from the fuel pump to the engine. If you have a hole in the fuel pump diaphragm, fuel can go into the crankcase through the impulse line. Usually, that won't show a leak until the crankcase is completely full (not good) but if there's a crack in the impulse line, fuel may leak there.

Start at the fuel tank and examine the hoses for cracks, and fittings and clamps for tightness. With that much fuel, it should be pretty easy to find where the gas is leaking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Last year I removed both carbs and replaced the needle and seats because I was having a flooding issue when the engine was running. So at this point I don't really suspect the needle and seats.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello everyforum post I read you are the Guru! I recently got a set of gyt pipes for my 94 vmax and was wondering what I need to do in regards to the carbs, and clutching. From what I have read without proper tuning the sled wont run very well. Any information will be huge hoping to get these puppies on soon!

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK, after much investigating, the leak was definitely coming from around the fuel pump. All the lines seemed to be in good shape. So now the question is, where can I get a pump rebuild kit? A new pump is over $100. It would seem like a rebuild kit would be a much cheaper option

·
Registered
2 Posts
My father unexpectedly passed away in 2017 which left one 2014 and one 2015 srviper's sitting without use. I took them in to get service and explained the situation and all they did was replace both batteries and carbines on one for $700. I picked them up and popped open the trailer and tried a cold start. It was a nice 20 degree day. The engines cranked and cranked but would not turn over. I tried giving them a little throttle but still no luck. I let them sit for a few hours and tried again with no luck.

What could possibly be going on? My first thought is old gas that clogged up the carbs. I'm thinking the carbs need to be cleaned and the old gas needs to be siphoned out. I can't believe the service center didn't do this even as they knew the sleds had been sitting without use for 2+ years. The service center of course blamed me for user error and said I must have 'flooded the engine because they were running just fine when we serviced them'.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK, back to the Vmax 600 saga. Spent the big bucks and bought a brand new fuel pump from the local Yamaha dealer for $110. Fuel leak now gone. Now I have a different problem. The motor fires right up, no problem. After it starts I flip the choke to half, and let it sit running to warm up. After maybe 5 minutes, the engine starts stumbling like its running out of gas. Flip the choke back to full and it will stay running for a bit, but then dies. It will not fire again unless I let it sit for 15 or 20 minutes. Then VROOM, fires right back up. Now I am suspecting gunk clogging the fuel pickup screen in the gas tank. My question is, how the HECK do you get it out? From the diagram it appears to much larger than the fuel line fitting. Seems like the opening big enough to get it out is the gas cap opening. How do you get hold of it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there yamadad. I need to know how to match the wires from an 89 exciter motor to an exciter 2 ignition if it is possible. Or is it possible to swap the mag and case from a 91 exciter 2 into an 89 motor?

·
Registered
2 Posts
As some of you know, i answer alot of your direct questions via Private Messaging and work closely to advise or guide.

i also help members through Visitor Messaging as well. if any of you have ever checked me out, those conversations are up for public viewing.

Although i enjoy the one on one personal contacts, i feel that some if not all the contents may benefit others as well.

So i decided to open myself to all the yamaha riders in hopes of answering all of your yamaha questions as best i can in hopes of helping others so all can veiw.

I will answer any questions as soon as possible (i ride too!) but, in the mean time, check this section to see if your problem has been addressed.

I will continue to deal on personal levels as needed, and as i mentioned, i DO enjoy it, but sometimes my inbox nears full capacity and i feel guilty when i have to delete messages and it takes a few reminders as to our prior conversations.

Perhaps all will benefit from whatever ills your sled is experiencing. i dont know it all, but i have alot of experience.

Lets pull start this concept and see how she runs!
i have a 2000 yamaha vk540 with no spark i have bought a new coil and new cdi still no spark new plugs checked fusses and continuity on wires ? what else

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey there yamadad4
I got a 79 enticer 340 and I was told about a yamaha exhaust mod . Just wondering what that all intales
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
yamadad4, just wanted to let you know you relieved a big headache I was developing! I am working on a project, restoring an '88 Phazer Deluxe. Now I must have rebuilt hundreds of carbs and fuel systems on all brands over the years. I did the carbs and fuel pump on this with all new internal parts, put it back together and could not control the idle. It would idle for about 10 seconds then start revving uncontrollably. I went nuts checking cables and air screw, etc. Then I thought about those damn little rubber plugs. My manual did not really help me on placement and like an idiot, I never made note of their location. I stumbled upon your thread on the placement of them and sure enough, I had the one that was supposed to be covering the pilot jet, (left side), on the right tube instead. Also took your advice and ordered 4 new ones since mine seemed loose. I was so happy I ended up joining the site! Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As some of you know, i answer alot of your direct questions via Private Messaging and work closely to advise or guide.

i also help members through Visitor Messaging as well. if any of you have ever checked me out, those conversations are up for public viewing.

Although i enjoy the one on one personal contacts, i feel that some if not all the contents may benefit others as well.

So i decided to open myself to all the yamaha riders in hopes of answering all of your yamaha questions as best i can in hopes of helping others so all can veiw.

I will answer any questions as soon as possible (i ride too!) but, in the mean time, check this section to see if your problem has been addressed.

I will continue to deal on personal levels as needed, and as i mentioned, i DO enjoy it, but sometimes my inbox nears full capacity and i feel guilty when i have to delete messages and it takes a few reminders as to our prior conversations.

Perhaps all will benefit from whatever ills your sled is experiencing. i dont know it all, but i have alot of experience.

Lets pull start this concept and see how she runs!
I'm not sure where to ask this question so I'll just try this.. I have a 86 yamaha excel 340.. I had to ride 2 up after that the track starting rubbing real bad just on left front side. I adjusted track but still the front rubs. Is there a way to fix this. There's no space between track and rail on left side but plenty of space on right front. The back is perfect... I'm stumped.. (first snowmachine of my own. Lol any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
174 Posts
Check your bearings on the drive axle. They may have gone bad causing the axle to shift to one side. Is there a clunking sound when you drive it?

·
Super Moderator
1,823 Posts
Dan I looked and YamaDad4 hasn't been on here in a year?
We may want to ask him and or redirect to open a thread?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I have a 98 Mt Max 700 that im in the process of rebuilding/riding. I have new shocks, rebuilt the steering bushings, suspension bushings, lower control arms, rear heat exchanger (from an old Exciter 570) , and I got a new rail extension kit from tracks USA, to go from a 136" to a !59". Its been geared down, extrovert drivers, I have lots of power, really screams up to over 9000 rpm. But I'm only getting to about 110-120 kms down the lake. I do lots of mt riding and trails. so I've been told to redo the clutch. Get more of the usable power at lower revs. 82-8500. I've been having problems getting the clutch spider off. the vin # is 8CP02 8BW. I got new slides, pins, rollers and bushings. How do I go about getting the spider off of the sheaves ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
i like to buy a old Bravo to play with ,wife rides a 78 ET250 she bought in 81. anyway this Bravo seller says it a 81 or 82 serial no is 8AE-000565 Yamaha dealer was no help.but thiught it is 93 ? any idea? Ken in Alberta

981 - 996 of 996 Posts