Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys (and gals),
I am new to the snowmobile world, but I recently got a steal on a 1990 or 91 Artic Cat JAG 440. It's not pretty, but it's a good starter sled. Anyhow, in order to get it started when it's cold, I have to pour a bit of gas in one of the cylinders, and then once it fires, play with the throttle to keep it running. The choke seems to have no effect on this process. Once it's warm, it will usually start right back up, also, it does not idle without me putting slight pressure on the throttle lever. I've tried fiddling with the adjustments on the throttle cable at the carb. and with the idle screw on the carb. to no avail. The jet, passages and bowl of the carb. are all clean.
Any insight would be much appreciated.
James.

·
Registered
25,332 Posts
Clean the carbs! Pay esspecial attention to the Pilot jet (up the tube) and the choke system. Also do a compression test @WOT!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Give me a little more info as to this compression testing at WOT. Does this mean that the sled has to be running? Also, other than carb cleaner a toothbrush what should I use?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thoroughly cleaned the carb, but I am unsure of adjustments to the jet screw and the idle screw. Tested compression, 130 and 140.

·
Registered
588 Posts
When you clean the carbs, be sure to use a strand of wire or something and run it through all of the tubes, jets, holes, etc. Then I use an air gun to blow everything out and through all the holes, finish of with another spray of cleaner through everything. I use a single strand of copper wire or a plastic bristle from my blue shop broom to run through mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First off, thank you to everyone who responded. I thoroughly cleaned the carb out and adjusted the idle screw so that the sled, once started will stay running well. Higher end is still a little boggy, but I can live with that. The sled will still not start when it's cold without putting a splash of fuel in one of the cylinders. However, once it is warm, it starts first pull every time. Where do I go from here?
Thanks again!

·
Registered
588 Posts
did you take the choke plungers out and clean, inspect them too? Make sure the cables are adjusted from the choke lever to the plungers so that the lever is pulling the plungers up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, it pulls the plunger up and I made sure all of the passages were unobstructed. Is there supposed to be a hole in the side of the carb that ties into the choke plunger? Also, it's just a single carb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts