Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just got a 2002 rmk 800 used.
The nose seems to sit quite low and when we push on the front bumper it seems like the shocks are already bottomed out.
If I lift on the sled the shocks come out, but retract almost to the bottom when we let the sled go.
Is this a problem with the shocks or should the springs be adjusted?
THanks in advance for any suggestions.
SG

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sounds like the springs are too loose. Tighten up the springs and see what happens. If you want to check the shocks, take them off and compress them by hand. If they extend back slowly from the compressed state they should be fine, if they spring right back out immediately they're probably shot. Shocks alone do not hold any weight they just absorb shock and slow down the rebound, whether the shocks are good or bad it will still sit at the same height. One more possibility is that I think the xcsp shocks are approx. 16.5 inches fully extended, and the RMK's stock shocks could be 17.5 inches fully extended. Maybe they replaced bad shocks with xcsp shocks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You really sould refer to your owners manual. The springs do nothing more than increase/decrease your ski to ground pressure.
That will only improve /decrease your handling.
There are independent adjustments on the shocks.
If you do not have a manual for the machine you can download it from this site. You can also download and entire parts manual for the machine.
Or if in doubt call your Polaris dealer.

http://consumer.polarisindustries.com/consumer/manual/default.aspx

Better yet borrow a Polaris suspension video..it is like "Suspensions for Dummies" !!

The shocks and springs are not there for the same purpose.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yukon Rider said:
You really sould refer to your owners manual. The springs do nothing more than increase/decrease your ski to ground pressure.
That will only improve /decrease your handling.
There are independent adjustments on the shocks.
If you do not have a manual for the machine you can download it from this site. You can also download and entire parts manual for the machine.
Or if in doubt call your Polaris dealer.

http://consumer.polarisindustries.com/consumer/manual/default.aspx

Better yet borrow a Polaris suspension video..it is like "Suspensions for Dummies" !!

The shocks and springs are not there for the same purpose.
If springs are loose, the sled will sag. The difference between all the way loose and all the way tight will be a matter of a few inches of ride height.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The Ryde-fx shocks on my xcsp will loosen far beyond the point of bottoming out the shock. Which will drop the sled down to where it would sit if you were to push down on the front when the springs have tension. Sorry if this sounds like a rude reply to your reply, but it is absolutely true.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I dont know why you think your reply is rude..
What you say is correct.
I was just pointing out that the springs are what cause poor handling, i.e
If the fron springs are loose then the machine will push going into turns..
If they are too tight then you will get rider fatigue due to hard steering.
The only time the springs should be loose is for deep pwder riding..

I just think that by reading the manual and watching the video, one gets an idea of why there are springs and shocks, after all they are there for a purpose. Although some think they just make the machine look cool.

Set the machine up to the factory settings and go from there..I find it hard to believe that a 2002 machine would have shot shocks.

·
Registered
323 Posts
And you are also correct. The manual and video are a great place to start. And thanks for that link, I printed the entire parts manual for my sled. Good to have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks

Thanks guys for the replies.
I appreciate it.
I will check out the links you have supplied.
I have looked at a couple other 2002 rmk and they seem to show the same amount of spring thread showing. However, these sleds do not seem to be as low or sit on the bottom of the shock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts