Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are your thoughts to arctic cats future after 2006 emmissions. Do you think their gonna put a suzuki streetbike engine in a sled or make a more fuel efficient two-stroke or expand there c-teck4 engines into a aggressive of a sled.Or are they gonna do somthin else?

·
Registered
105 Posts
future looks great. i don't know the exact emmissions regulations (what are they?) but from what i heard is that they are affecting yellowstone pretty hard. is it a nationwide thing or what? if it is look for a Arctic Cat F-GSXR to hit showrooms floors!!! that would be sweet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i havent even heard about these new emmisions restrictions, i dont really know why i care, im still gonna be bombing around on my 78 eltigre 440 smoke screen maker

·
Registered
431 Posts
im with petey and g-force. two stroke are always better than four. I think they should make two stroke car motors with loud pipes. but seriosly, looks like cat is heading for the small turbo motor deal like the t660. although a hayabusa powered sled would be cool

·
Registered
105 Posts
so what is going to happen with all the sleds that we have now, are we going to have to worry about passing emmissions tests?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think they will eventually lean towards the 4 stroke motors. The personal watercraft industry & 4 wheelers are in the same boat. Only problem with the motorcycle engines, such as the 1300cc Hyabusa. The inline 4's do not start making pawer until about 7-8,000 rpm. My 600's powerband hits at 9,500 with a 14,500 redline.
These motors would absolutely scream, but to give low-end trail riding rpms, they are going to have to super-charge them, just like the Honda Personal Water craft.

I can't wait to see what happens. Personally I have a feeling Honda is gonna jump into snowmobiles with a vengence & dominate the four-stoke engine market. We'll see!

·
Registered
64 Posts
it'll be interesting thats for sure. i think well see some DI two strokes first, then kinda fade into 4 strokes. personally id like to see a diesel sled. about a 700cc single cylinder with the intake on the front, with a large turbo. and since the 3" pipe will run under the seat, theres plenty of room in front of the engine to put the propane and nitrous tanks.

·
back in the game
2,364 Posts
busyfixin said:
it'll be interesting thats for sure. i think well see some DI two strokes first, then kinda fade into 4 strokes. personally id like to see a diesel sled. about a 700cc single cylinder with the intake on the front, with a large turbo. and since the 3" pipe will run under the seat, theres plenty of room in front of the engine to put the propane and nitrous tanks.
:eek: you go balls out!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH FOUR STROKES,THERE ARE SOME PRETTY POTENT FOUR STROKES USED IN OTHER APPLICATIONS. THEY JUST NEED TO REFINE THEM TO TO BE MORE PRACTICAL IN SNOWMOBILES. ARCTIC HAS THE RIGHT IDEA WITH THE TURBO BUT ONCE THE DI GETS MORE REFINED AND A FEW OTHER FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEMS DEVELOPED YOU WILL SEE FOUR STROKES COMPETE WITH THE TWO STROKES. WE HAVE TO FACE THE FACTS, THE EPA IS GOING TO PLAY A BIG PART IN WHAT THE FUTURE HOLDS IN SNOWMOBILING. IT IS PRETTY BOGUS THAT THEY ARE USING A POLARIS TRAIL 488 FOR THEIR BASELINE FOR TESTING FOR THE TECH ON THOSE SLEDS ARE OUTDATED AND OF COURSE THE EMISSIONS ARE GOING TO BE HIGH BUT THAT IS SOMETHING WE ARE ALL GOING TO HAVE TO DEAL WITH SOONER OR LATER IF WE WANT TO CONTINUE TO ENJOY THE SPORT. IT'S JUST ANOTHER CASE OF BIG BROTHER STICKING HIS NOSE WHERE IT DOESN'T BELONG.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That is the last thing I would get. A sled with a Turbo... that's what you need... I don't know how well a turbo would hold up on a small engine like that being bounced around... the sled already costs an arm and a leg and then if the tubo screws up on it you are going to be paying stupid ammounts to get the sled fixed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
turbos seem to hold up fairly well in turbo banshees, bearings wear out, but thats cause they spin twice as fast as a normal turbo. and there are a few turbo sleds out there. anyone on here have a turbo sled they could talk about???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, my new T660 Turbo 2 up is still sitting in the garage waiting for snow. Looks like I will be heading to the UP MI to break it in.
It looks good, but the ride report will have to wait.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts