Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 1992 Arctic Cat Wildcat 700 today. I am not in it too much money and all it needs to run perfect are the carbs cleaned. It also needs the choke cable and the airbox is cracked. The previous owner has the windshield, but couldn't find it. If he finds it he is going to get ahold of me. Right now it has on the high end of 3700 miles(close to 3800, not high miles). It has had the engine rebuilt in Michigan by a shop on the trip they were on. The coolant hose broke and got into one of the cylinders. I am just wanting to know all the good and bad stuff with them.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean by that?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you had many problems with them, beside normal maintenance? Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
no i have had the drive shaft bearing go out which is common especially if you forget to grease it

and i burnt down a cylinder which was caused by a part missing in the slide assembly of the carb letting the cable come undone

but always start for me with no trouble

only thing is i wish it was a little bit lighter but then i spose it wouldnt hold up to the beating i put it through in the woods

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will be sure to grease those bearings on the drive shaft. I don't want to spend the time to replace them. Even though this is going to be a summer project to just clean it up, since the snow is probably going to melt within the next couple days. At least the motor in mine was rebuilt, so I shouldn't have to worry about that.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hopefully it was a good job done on the rebuild. yeah grease the bearing and also the pivot shafts in the suspension. I cant remember if the spindles are greasable or not. A little grease saves alot of greif later.

A suggestion to exted the life of your motor is run a good quality oil not the cheap 2 stroke oil from the box store. Yes it costs more money but it will save you money in the end

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking of running Yamalube in it, because I just bought a gallon and got rid of one of my oil injected sleds. The rebuild was not a home job, but it was done while the people were on a trip to Michigan. Also, I am going to try to grease everything when I get a chance over the summer. Now I am in college and it's 35*F and raining at my house.

·
Registered
168 Posts
that oil will be fine in it and sounds like you shouldnt have any trouble what that motor being done at a shop

yeah rain is not so good as that is what we have been getting for the last week and nearly all our snow is gone still some in the mountains though

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya this sucks, especially since I mainly ride around my house and my friends house. I think next year we are going to try to get some Michigan trail riding in. It's just we never had reliable enough sleds lol.

·
Registered
168 Posts
yeah reliable sled is always good but i go mountain riding with the neighbor and dont sweat it as he has alot newer machines and well needless to say he get to haul me out when i break down

so if there is at least one dependable sled in the bunch you will be fine

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
That 92 would benefit from an ETT/TSL skid for a better ride and 1" lug track too.
Engine is very reliable, just keep an eye on the clutch side carb flange (rubber part)
You can fix the air box with hot glue to seal the cracks.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are the carb boots known to crack or something? Also, are there places to find one of those skids and a track for cheap? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Not so much, they just get old and crack, particularly the PTO side because there is more heat on that side.
Look on Ebay or craigs list for the tracks/skids, I bought my track as a brand new take off at a dealer. You can also get real good prices from Tracks USA, Largest Dealer of Snowmobile Tracks and Parts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How expensive are those boots? Also, should I just replace them when I have the carbs off getting cleaned? Would changing the skid to one of those that you mentioned change the track length? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
$15 -$30 each depending on where you get them, cheap compared to an engine rebuild.
Unless you put in a skid for a longer track, no, you can use the one that you have (121X15-2.52 pitch).

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am probably going to replace the boots then when I clean the carbs over the summer. Do you think $150 is a good deal for a seat, hood, windshield, rear bumper, and heat exchangers? I don't have the windshield for mine yet, and I know they are about $50-$60 new. I found a guy parting out the same year Wildcat online and just wanted to know if it would be worth it? The seat and hood he said are in pretty good shape, and the bumper on mine is bent so I just want to fix that. Both heat exchangers(mine and his) are dented, but don't leak. The hood and seat on mine now have the normal wear. The seat has some small rips and the hood has the clear coat peeling and some other signs of wear. I just like my sleds to be running and looking in tip top shape. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts