Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1972 arctic cat lynx 292 will start on the first pull everytime. If it doesn't start on the first pull it will flood. Or if i kill it and try to restart it it will flood. I precisley adjusted the carbs stil lno difference. What could be my problem?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The choke cable is broken so i have to flip the choke switch by hand and it never sticks. But if i don't switch in within 2 fires of the engine it floods Thats about 2 seconds time so you need two people. But the wierd thing is if it dosn't start on the first pull it floods. its all or nothing

·
Registered
28 Posts
Possibly your needle and seat are bad. If they don't seal you will pump fuel directly into the engine even with the float and throttle adjusted correctly.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
THAT CARB DOESN'T HAVE A FLOAT. HAVE YOU CHANGED THE DIAPHRAMS LATELY MIGHT HAVE A PINHOLE IN ONE. IF I REMEMBER THAT SHOULD BE A WALBRO CARB CAN GET CARB KIT FROM WWW.DENNISKIRK.COM FOR ABOUT $20.00

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same

I have the same sled and the same problem. I recently re-built the carb and it still does it. Also, although the sled has the complete exhaust, I cant believe that it would be that loud. Were these sleds loud out of the box or is my exhuast fried?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gap

Thanks for your response. I have gapped the plug. Here's the thing. I got it running last night after numerous attempts and it ran fine for a while. Then it died and wouldnt start. It's like it's starving itself. Is their a fuel pump on these old Lynx's. I didnt see one. I heard that the crank seals could be bad and that the engine wont produce enough vacuum to pull fuel thru the system becasue of the seals being bad. Ever heard of that?

·
Registered
81 Posts
If its the WDA carburetor, the fuel pump is built in. There should be a hose running from near the intake manifold to the side of the carburetor. This is the pulse line that drives the pump.

I have a pair of Scorpions that use the WDA carburetors. They bahave similarly as to what you describe. If it's 32degF or above I dont need the choke at all. Only if it's real cold. Otherwise, two pumps on the primer and one pull gets them running.

I would doubt the crank seals would cause no fuel to flow, more likly you've got some gunk stuck inside the carburetor. These WDA's are very sensative to this. However, a leakey crank seal can easily burn a piston and it can be difficult to detect. (I burned one last season) Check on your spark plugs regularly. There are some pictures here and there to teach you how to read sparkplugs for fuel ratio adjustments. You can use the same to see if one of the seals is leaking. One spark plug will be diffrent than the other.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You should be able to get the points from a dealer, the condenser says "no longer available". You should be able to get both from www.mfgsupply.com by matching the pictures though.

BTW, if your tunnel is stamped 1972, it's probably a 1973 according to the Arctic Cat parts diagrams. (no lynx listed in 72)

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
If it will run, it is not an electrical problem.
Do a carb. overhaul and cleaning (dipping works best)and then try it. If it still has trouble running, then look at the points and condenser.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a '73 AC lynx and it's doing the same thing. I was told that the carb was recently rebuilt. Any suggestions other than the above posts?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts