Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Mr X
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a ZR 900 this past summer that had a temperature gauge installed from the dealer, according to the original owner. However, now that we have snow it appears the temperature gauge doesn't work. Does anybody have a troubleshooting procedure, or advice to offer? The gauge has a power wire, ground wire, and a sensor wire. Also, the wires are all plugged into the factory harnesses that makes me believe this this was installed by the dealer, not just butchered into the system. There is an in-line fuse for the power wire that I checked and it is fine. Please let me know if anyone can offer som advice.

Thanks,

·
bassman
39 Posts
I have an 86 el tigre 6000 and my temp gauge doesn't seem to work either. Haven't had time to really look into it, but if they are cheap enuf I'd just replace it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'll start by stating that my knowledge of gauges comes from the automobile, so bear that in mind.... Most temp gauges have a + & - to power the gauge. The sending unit usually works with a 0>90 ohm resistance to grd. That said if you take a wire from batt neg, (with a battery attached to + & - of gauge) and quickly touch the sending unit pin of the gauge,, the gauge should max out. (don't do this for a long period of time, just 'touch' the pin) To test the sending unit, have an ohm meter attached, place unit in a pot of water, heat, and see if the ohm meter moves.
good luck
Just thought of another possible 'easier' fix. Is your sending unit attached to the higher part of the head, or spliced into the hosing. If the latter, and your coolant is low, the sending unit will be 'bathing' in air, and will not sending anything to the gauge. The fix is obvious...!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts