Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1974?? Arctic Cat cheetah that i got for free. When i squeeze the drive belt i can come within about 2 inches of touching it together but i don't think that it is too loose. When you get on the throttle it makes the clutch move in but its like it doesn't squeeze the belt hard enough to drive the track. I put oil in the sump thing that goes to the track and greased the grease fitting on the wheel that goes to the track. Soooo my question is, is there a possibility that I can tighten the clutch so it squeezes harder. The snowmobile has been sitting for about 2 years now, i dont know if that could be part of the problem?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
WHAT CONDITION IS THE BELT IN? HAVE YOU TRIED CLEANING THE CLUTCHES. IF IT SAT FOR 2 YEARS THE CLUTCHES MIGHT BE A LITTLE FROZE UP TRY SPRAYING A LITTLE, AND I MEAN A LITTLE WD-40 ON THE CLUTCHES,(NOT WHERE THE BELT RIDE) AND SEE
IF THAT HELPS AND PAY NO ATTENTION TO G-FORCE HE MUST HAVE HAD HIS HAND FULL WHEN HE WAS TRING TO COME (NO PUN INTENDED) UP WITH AN ANSWER:D HOPE THIS HELPS

GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED!!!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
HEY G-FORCE, IF YOU ACTUALLY HAD TO PUT TOGETHER A SLED INSTEAD OF HAVIN' SANTA BRING YA ONE THEN ANSWERING QUESTIONS MIGHT BECOME A LITTLE EASIER, I AM SURE IF YOU WERE IN THE SAME BOAT AS THIS OTHER GENTLEMAN IS YOU WOULD APPRECIATE SOME GOOD ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS
AND I'M SURE YOU WOULD GET THEM, BUT IF YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE DON'T BE A SMART A$$ IT GIVES NEWBIES A BAD TASTE IN THEIR MOUTHS, REMEMBER WHEN YOU WERE A NEWBIE? AND FOR THE RECORD, THERE IS NOT ONE DAMN THING WRONG WITH HONDA'S I RACED ENDUROES ON THEM FOR YEARS AND AND NEVER HAD A DNF.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Actually it's people that rant and rave with ALL CAPS that turn me away from forums. I think the humor from G-Force was pretty obvious, and his suggestion to be patient appropriate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you mx01 for the help. Yesterday when i checked the plugs they were both sparking, but this monring it woudlnt start. So i took the plugs out and checked and one wasnt working and the other one was arching like it had a broken ceramic. So i went and got new ones and now she drives awesome. She must have been only running on one cylnder yesterday and thats why it didnt have the ummph to clamp the clutch down. DOOHH. Thanks for your help!

·
back in the game
2,364 Posts
Good to hear your sled is running better :cool:

alleydude said:
Actually it's people that rant and rave with ALL CAPS that turn me away from forums. I think the humor from G-Force was pretty obvious, and his suggestion to be patient appropriate.
Thanks, everything I said was intended to be a joke, and not only that, but I doing this guy a favour by keeping his thread at the top :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well i have what seems to be another problem on my hands. Today it pretty much ran out of power and would hardly move and woudlnt wind up. So i took out the plugs and checked them and AGAIN! the plug on the same side as this morning had stopped working AGAIN! Argh so i put a new plug in it and it runs tip top but after about 30 minutes it starts to break down and slowly doesnt wind up as much as before and gets slower and slower. I didnt take that plug out to check it but i think its dead or almost. My question is what makes it eat a plug, and its only one side?? New wires maybe???

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
What u race for a bike?? I dont race but i trail ride a 02" XR200R stock w/o baffle (big difference from pipe w/ baffle) Honda Dirt Bikes are the sickest!

·
back in the game
2,364 Posts
oh and 01MXZ800, I DO race Hondas, I was just thinking cars for some reason...

And now: Back to helping Honda Racer with his Arctic-Cat problem :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Honda Racer, you have a 30 year old sled that sat around for at least 2 years without running.Be prepared to learn ALOT about patience.

Now, when you have a prob, give us all the info you can.I have had a few old cats and those ol' Kawi powered units were cantankerous 10 years ago.I have an 'ol 74 panther 340 tucked away in the shed, myself.

Anyhow, back to you.Check the obvious first-the plug cap resistance.Not sure, but I think its 5000 Ohm.Just check both to see if they are the same.
Which plug is fouling????????I am gonna bet on it being the PTO side(clutch).With a machine that old I'll lay my money on a bad crank seal.When they sit, they corrosion builds on the crank on that side because its open to the air.The rust wears the seal out in no time when you fire it up, that cyl will load up with oil and gas, fouling the plug.
If it is the PTO side and your gonna get into the seal, that clutch will have to come off.Easiest is to pull the engine and take it to a dealer to get it pulled.(A dealer that's been around a long time , if you got one handy!)If you don't wanna do that, you will have to buy a puller
While the clutch is off, take it apart and clean, free up and lube all moving parts, the rollers are famous for seizing with time.Make sure you clean the crank really good where the seal runs.If the sled is a keeper, do the seals in each end while your at it.
Let us know how you make out and good luck.The 'ol Kawi's can be a pain, but when the work right they are an awesome 'ol motor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You guys are a real help. Thanks a ton. Surprisinly it is NOT the PTO side. The NON PTO side keeps going, when i took off the plug the first time it went it was all wet, deffinitly it wasnt running. Can I stick my volt meter into the top where the plug wire goes into the plug? Just put the postive end in the cap and the negative on the block? Lol you right this is going to take alot of patience.

·
Registered
88 Posts
To check resistance, take the caps off the wires, set meter to Ohms, tester leads go to each end of the cap.Test 'em both Cause I'm not sure what the resistance is in the 'ol thing.I think it should be 5000.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts