Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 550 Panther with less than 130 miles on it. Its kept in a heated garage and covered. I tried to start it up today after making sure that the battery had enough power. When the key is turned to the start position I get a clicking sound similar to what you might get when the solenoid is not engaging. The sound is coming from under the break rotor so its not near the solenoid or starter. I was also not able to pull start it. Any suggestions for a home solution, Im kind of remote.

Thanks much in advance

Dave

·
The Snow Man
142 Posts
Hmmmm. What do you mean by "not able to pull start it"? Do you mean, the engine wont turn over (locked up) or it wont start by hand???

-Fess

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fastsubie said:
Hmmmm. What do you mean by "not able to pull start it"? Do you mean, the engine wont turn over (locked up) or it wont start by hand???

-Fess
[/QUOTE

The pull starter will turn the motor over, its not locked up...just wont start. Its been a few months since it was run.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
did you try choking it?? hoow about the plugs any spark??

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Hmm... not sure about the 550 Panther - I have a 440 Panther. On the 440, the starter is mounted to the engine near the clutch side.

However, my ZL550 starter *IS* located on the brake side, and has a shaft running to the toothed flywheel on the clutch side.

Make sure your battery is charged. I had weird starter problems with my 440 and a weak battery. Charged it up, and it's fine!

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
hmmm sounds like what our 340 pumas did, it seemed if you ever took them through any snow or it got really cold the starter seemed to have issues, charge your battery right up, get it indoors if you can so that it has lots of cranking amps, them go out and try it. If it still does it try it couple of times then maybe a few yanks with the rope and try again. i think the starter has a tendency to "stick". Good luck, just make sure to try that battery trick. make sure your engines getting fuel, if its kept inside and covered it should be possible to pull start, are your carbs possibly gummed up, bad spark plugs, it could be a number of things. if you can, try to find out why you can't get it started by pulling it, then you will be able to use it at least. Are the plugs getting wet, are they sparking, i would think with sitting for so long maybe the gas got old....

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Go with the basics. Pull the plugs and check for spark. If there's no spark, you can pull till your arm falls off, and it won't start.

Storing indoors is no substitute for using gas stabilizer, and shutting off the gas if you're not going to run it for a while. What I do with my generator is to shut off the gas while it's running, and let it run itself out of gas. That clears all the gas out of the carb, and helps keep it from gumming up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts