Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone familiar with purchasing a snowmobile or atv on ebay motors???

i found a sled for sale which i am interested in, he asking $1730.00 bux for it, found on a deal simalar to craigs list... i contacted him via the site provided link to see if he still had it. he does and i asked him why he was selling it... he needs to liquidate in order to finance his new house...

"I'm glad that you're interested in my sled.The sled is in good condition, has no technical damages at all, no scratches or dents,no hidden defects.Never been dropped, laid down, raced or in an accident. It has been regularly maintained. It runs like brand new with no issues.The exterior is in excellent condition, brakes work well. It comes with all the documents needed for registration, it has a clear title and it can be registered into your name at any time... There are no known problems with the sled as far as I know.

The total price is $1,730‏‏‏ including shipping and delivery taxes to your address.
I AM SELLING UNDER THE MARKET'S VALUE BECAUSE I NEED LIQUIDITY IN ORDER TO FINISH THE HOUSE THAT I AM BUILDING.

If you are decided we are going to have a safe deal.

Please get back to me to explain you more.
I`m waiting for your reply as soon as possible.

Thank you!"

of course i dont want to get scammed on this deal and i relayed my concerns. he relayed back...

I'm in New Jersey due to my work (i'm an Air Force Msgt.) and i have the sled here with me. I can deliver it to your shipping address (i will pay for the shipping and insurance fees) and i will agree to let you test and inspect it for 5 days just to be sure. In this 5 days you will test the conditions of the sled. If something won't be like you expected to be you can return it without any expense. It will come with all the paper work.The payment will be made after you will test and inspect the sled.

The payment will be made after you will test and inspect the sled.
The deal will go through eBay Motors. In this way both of us will have the required assurance that the deal will take place well. A refund policy will be included.
If you agree with these terms please reply me with your full name, shipping address and phone# so that i can forward them to eBay. They will send you a complete list with instructions.

so if anyone has any expierience with ebay motors... i guess what confuses me is i thought ebay was an auction type of deal... almost sounds like a buy it now without a listing??? does this sound like it is legit??? or with the 5 day inspection period a safe try??? anyone got any advice on this let me know... thks

·
Reverend Dennis
786 Posts
That is a SCAM. Stay away

Notice the broken English when you read it. 1st major clue!

2nd wants to deliver it.

Trust me, that is a text book example of the wording and methods used in almost 99.9% of all Nigerian scams.

Stay away. Check the local craigslists and find one you can pick up in person. Ebay does have some good deals, but you will either Buy it Now on the site then arrange your own pick up where you can inspect it, or bid on it just like any other ebay auction

·
Registered
72 Posts
SCAM ALERT.
If you do not purchase a sled using ebay web site it is a 100% Scam.
This is a very common scam thru other selling sites (buysell, kijji, etc) that people say it will be thru ebay motors.
They will even send you a fake ebay email saing everything is arranged and to send the money.
Contact ebay directually yourself and they will tell you it is a scam.
NOTE: "if it is to good to be true, it probably is"
DO NOT SEND ANY MONEY. THIS IS A SCAM.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thks ... i sorta figured... i googled the line in his add...
"I AM SELLING UNDER THE MARKET'S VALUE BECAUSE I NEED LIQUIDITY IN ORDER TO FINISH THE HOUSE THAT I AM BUILDING"... and got hits... guess the old gut feeling still works... one nice thing about these forums, alot of diversity and expierience that come forth!!!:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
17,302 Posts
Another key is the description. The description sound like what you would see for a bike. I have yet to see anyone "lay down" a sled (well, maybe a snow hawk!).

The only way I would ever buy a sled from someone that I didnt' know is I have cash in hand, they have clear title in hand, we exchange title for money and signed bill of sale after I inspect the sled. There are lots of good deals on the forums from some really good people. Keep looking.

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
i just had the same deal on an 02 mxz renegade 800.
sent me a whole story about how perfect the bike was.
never wrecked or laid down.
are you serious?? but kept sending me e-mails
wondering where the $1550 check was and when i
was mailing it. NEVER!!! WHAT A SCAM!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Okay anytime they say they are moving out of state or joining the army and being shipped out it is almost always a scam. Once you contact them they will pull the same scam saying mail them your personnel info. Never deal with the person always deal through ebay. I personally like craigslist, a lot less scams.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yeah, never layed down, never raced , brakes work great and no technical difficulties. Those words are not really sled words. If I were buying a sled from a private owner I would not be asking if he raced it or how great the breaks work or if he has been having any technical problems!!! Scam. You live in Minnesota, , there are plenty of sleds that you can drive and go see. Also New Jersey is not the first state I thinlk of when it comes to snowmobiling.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I fully agree, plus the fact he was so eager to fully pay all shipping and insurance to your address?......from Jersey, that would be hundreds of dollars, no one is going to put out that kind of money to sell a sled . I had the same thing happen when I advertised my ATV on craigslist, the same type of "off " English, offering to pay for shipping to his address through a 3rd party, and multiple emails when I did not agree to his terms. As soon as I told him flat out it was cash in hand or no deal, he left me alone, but then "somebody" flagged my ad and had it removed so I had to relist it, I think I ticked off a scammer......lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts