Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used 2000 venture 600 early this year and finally had enough snow to take it out. First trip around the yard, the front of the rear suspension kicked up and jammed in the up position. I pryed it back down and had a look, only to realize the center shock was missing/had been removed.
I contacted the person I had bought it from and he said he new nothing about it and had driven it like that for the last 2 years (?????).
So, if he was honest, then the person before him had removed it - my question is: Is there any reason to have removed this?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
without that shock the skid is rendered useless. the only way the previous owner ran it that way was if he had a 50lb kid on it and never hit a bump. someone aint being very honest.

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
you can probably pick one up at a salvage yard for cheap, then just have it rebuilt by a professional for about $40. Good as new.

Probably should've checked the skid when purchasing though, :D

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
salvage yard is a great idea. however, the steel bodied shock that fits that sled is not rebuildable. but, there should be other models that interchange.

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
well that's too bad, but still better to have a used shock than no shock at all.

If you don't mind me jackin the thread, is my shock in my M10 Polaris Rebuildable? I don't know exactly what it is, but was thinking about it for next year.

Rear: Fast M-10; Fox, HPG, IFP track shock; 13 in. (33 cm) travel

^^ rear suspension specs, don't know which shock is which and which are rebuildable?.... Any Help?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picked up a use one for $75. It'll get me through the season.
The wrecker had 2 ventures there, both with cracked bottom rails - apparantly this is very common - I'm wondering if the shock was removed for this reason - to keep the pressure of the skid. They crack at the first mounting bolt at the front of each rail - and will chew through the tracks.
I'll have to check later this week, and see what mine are like.
FWIW I had my daughter take it out for a ride and it was fine. it just didn't like my fat behind on it.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
check yours close for cracks and they can be reinforced with some gussets so you wont have any future issues. cant remember for sure if that sled had the rubber bumps stops mounted on the rails or the big ones attached to the from arm. check and see which one yours is. rail mounted is better. the arm mounted ones can be removed and this will buy time against cracking the arm as long as your not doing alot of cliff jumping or hard drops.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts