Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i got a 2003 800 rmk
awesome sled
cant seem to figure out the problem
the plugs spark. it fires up in a few cranks idles but
dies out...?
i just wanna get some advice before i go and replace the coil and all the fuel lines
im totally clueless
i can go out there right now
put the key in turn it on crank it a few times and it'll run
then give out i cant figure it out and ill pull the plugs out looks like its gettin fuel
so not sure

·
Registered
121 Posts
What RPM does it idle at? Is the choke on or off when it dies? Can you ride it or does it quit when you try to give it gas also?

Have you done a compression test?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well im gettin a mechanic friend of mine to clean the cards. Air filter and Gas Filter . Thought it was the coil but it had a healthy blue spark so my coils are good. and i havent tested the compression or RPM test but it will take off if i go out start it up warm it up for a bit i can take off but it was will die out . i hope the cleanin of the carb n fuel lines does it and if not im clueless but everything else is good

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am thinking it is a fuel adjustment/cleaning issue, once the carbs are clean you'll know if there is any gunk blocking anything, Iv'e heard it doesn't take much to cause problems. I would just get a new fuel filter and have never really heard of cleaning the air filter though it is worth a look to see if anything got inside the airbox and nested, I am guessing that is what you meant.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
deffinately check your carbs. My 98 did the exact same thing so i tore apart my carbs and one of the floats had a peice of wire holding it on instead of the actual pin. that will really make your sled run like crap.

·
Registered
98 Posts
800 rmk

I have an 02 rmk 800. I beleive they are very similar. My sled was doing something like thatfor quite a while.

The first rendtion was that the fuel line was partley closed. Be sure the valve is open.

The second rendition was there was a leak in the VES valves. replaces gasket. cheep fix there.

The third rendition was that the idle was two low. The sled would start on first pull in the garage so i thought it was sweet and ready to go. in the real world, in the cold it would just die when sitting still. bumped up the idle. just a screw. real easy.

The fourth and final fix that i had was very interesting. I lost the key for a while and i found the only way to shut the engine off was to flood it. Way to easy to flood. What i realized was that my choke cable was way to tight. i was basicly running my sled with half choke all day. when it idled it would just want to die. Well i loosened up the choke cable so there was an 1/8th of an inch play. Now the thing runs perfects.

Well except for the exploding back wheels but that is another story.

Good luck.
J

1 - 7 of 7 Posts