Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i have a ski doo 467 im getting it ready for grass drags but im still thinking of a way to cool the antifreeze. any suggestions? maybe a radiator like a old invader would work. im on a tight budget so it will be homemade!:D Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya but i dont wanna have that much money into it. i just want it now to over heat

·
Registered
25,344 Posts
About the best thing is a cool down cart! That way you can completely remove ALL the coolant lines and exchangers and all! And simply a pair of quich disconects like for Hydrolics, a 12v marien bulidge pump and a radiator out of a Geo metro!

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
poor mans cool cart would consist of an ice chest which you should already have, a $10 bilge pump and some hoses. the key is in the disconnects. water in, water out, circulating through some cool water. shouldnt be more than a $30 investment.

fittings from a radiator flush and fill kit can be incorporated and used along with hoses from a washing machine. parts you may have laying around. still need a pump.

if you want to go real cheap you can simply strategically place bags or blocks of ice on/over your heat exchangers. ice costs money so your paying for your cool down system anyway.

a gas powered blower can help as well, especially with your clutches.

too bad you arent closer. i have 2 setups in varying stages of assembly, but i just sold my last sets of disconnects.

if this is your first time at grass drags, simply use your head. shade and air movement will be alot of help. since there is probably no cash payback involved and your at the bottom of the learning curve, dont kill your sled. you will know if the sled is too hot. alot of cooling can be had using a blower.

then if you get the bug(and you will), invest in the needed equipment to gain a competative edge.

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
I was thinking of putting a sled motor into a golf cart, and my uncle and I came up with a way to use a couple small radiators and electric fans to constantly blow air onto them. We never tested it to see how well it worked but why wouldn't it?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
it works really well. i used a radiator from a mazda, had some barbed type 1" hose fittings adapted in place of the larger stock ones, mounted an electric fan to it and a 12v water pump from an rv. all sitting on a hand cart with an rv battery for power. you could cool several sleds back to back without ever needing ice.

we cooled our sleds plus half the other racers when they ran out of ice.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks yamadad! your a big help in my grass drags sled! 1991 mach 1 with a 467! does anyone know what class i would be able to run in? its a stock motor

1 - 10 of 10 Posts