Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
being relatively mechanically inclined, i'm able to work on the sled, but knowing nothing about sleds, i now find my self stumped.

i got new points put in my raider now. it is a 1973 CCW engine. 440 Reed Valve engine, model number KEC-440 22a. new plugs (BR8ES) and new solid core plug wires. this is a dual points/dual coil ignition setup, and i cannot get it to throw spark through the plug to save my life. if i grab the end of either spark plug wire, or both at the same time, and ground myself to the engine, i get a good strong shock while slowly pulling the engine over. put a spark plug on the wire, ground it to the head, headbolts, block, anywhere, no spark. i can take the coils with plug wires connected off this 440 and put them on a 400CC CCW engine i ran in this sled for two years, and get good spark to the plugs on both cylinders.

i'd usually suspect the points, as those are the only thing i've messed with in this motor that is questionable, but if i'm getting spark to shock myself, why can't i get spark to a plug? any input would really be appreciated, it just kills me to know i have snow coming and i wont be able to ride!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, i havent tried any other plug in it. i've since gotten the stupid thing running but can't get it runnign well at all. nobody can get a spark control box for my 75 raider, and nobody wants to set the points in my 440, i can't seem to do it myself, anybody want em?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the Ahole down at the local sled shop said 8 degrees, never much liked him anyway. he worked on the 570EX before i bought it and it never started too easy since then. also would you happen to know the gap to set them at? been told .014.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Generally it's set at .020, but that should be enough to work. 8 degrees may be a little too advanced. I think the company I listed above wants $145 for the spark box.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
these are some nice bits of information SEG. if i can get the thing started from where it died in the yard, i'll run it back to the barn and see what i can do, will let you guys know in two hours or so what my findings are.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
these points are 2 weeks old out of the box. might go get a different set of points as the "spring" tension on one set didnt seem quite as strong as the other. the points really are for a single cylinder articat or something of the other, still listed in the book to fit the 440 CCW, and was an identical match.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Put a "new" set of points in a Kohler 1 cylinder tractor last week. Ran great for 3 to 4 minutes, then misfired, etc. Every time I sanded the contacts, same thing, ran great then crappy...Replaced them again, no further problems. Did you do the coil also?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i checked the coils on the 400CCW, that also has spark on one cylinder due to points. change the wires around from the coils to the points, and opposite side gets spark, thats how i determined it was points and not coils, coils check out fine. dropped it off a mel's motorcycle clinic today, reputable place. charging 35 bucks to set the points/timing, may have it tommarow, if not monday or tuesday.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i just have a new plan of attack. since the CDI for the 340 kohler is 145 bucks, cheapest i found, i think i'm just going to put points in the 400 CCW engine i have from another raider we used to ride until it died a horrable death int he field. property stake marker went through the grack and mangled the left hand track and screwed the chain case all up, so it got turned into a parts sled.

anyway, think i'l just put a set of points int he 400 CCW, and drop the 400 into the 340's place. make it run a little quicker, and save 110 bucks in the process. i'll just have to see how the 340 secondary clutch works with the 400 on it, i'd imagine it'll be fine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, i got my 440 CCW back today, going to put it in the sled again when i get up tomarrow and then we'll see how the thing runs!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well, she got good spark now, have had it running but i think i have a carb problem now. runs real good then just dies. think a carb rebuild is now in session.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
had to rebuild the SOB 2 years ago after it sat since 96. maybe i can just tear it apart and clean it well enough to work as intended, but with 8 dollar rebuild kit mights as well just rebuild. will post if have problems with rebuild elsewhere so a carb rebuild topic is not burried in a post of spark issues. i hate when i search for a paticular thread and can't find it cuz its part of another thread. would like to personally thank you SEG, you seem to be alot of help to many of us snowmobilers on here.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
No problem. I've done a lot of the repairs some are asking about, plus seized my share of engines, broke belts, replaced tracks, etc. I try to eliminate as much of the headache as possible that I went through....:D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
she runs very well after a carb rebuild and new points. dont have much snow up here, but figured i just HAD to tear the yard up for a minute or two and check it out. that old 440 pulls the skis off the ground, but i'm sure having the motor sit on a set of twin cleated tracks has somethinig to do with it. got some new hard-weld runners for it and handles sweet. have to try and research some wiring so i can hook the tach and lights up (lights work if it has a battery in it, electric start even works) but nothing works off just the engine running, the kill switch is the only thing plugged into the pig tail on the engine. go match up some shocks tomarrow, hook up the 3 dangeling wires and ready to go! personal note to my self incase i forget in a few years so i can come back to this site and see, but the ski runners matched up to a early to late 70's articat jag/El Tigre

1 - 20 of 21 Posts