Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very confusing issue with this sled. I have to crank it over several times to get it to start but then once it starts it runs fine for about 10 minutes. I can ride it around giving it full throttle then it eventually starts to bog down and then stalls. Is it possible that the bowls are emptying out and the fuel pump is not keeping up with the demand? Anyone have any ideas for me to check?

·
Registered
328 Posts
floats could be sticking too, and only open very little only allowing enogh gas in for abotu 10 mins then it dies till it gets more, but the fuel pump could be it too, and i believ if you hooked the carbs up to a tank that was above the engine like supended from the ceiling it would run since carbs dont need really any pressure to move the fuel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check your carbs. I had a problem like this today withmy sled and just found out that it is spilling fuel into the airbox. To get it to start sooner some times hold the throtle half open.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had one do this too, running out of gas all the time and it ended up having a little burr in base where needle valve sits that would prevent it from opening. I took a tiny drill bit and spun it by hand o clean it up and never had a problem again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
does it restart once its hot? if not check the crank seals.if you dont know how..put some gas in a spray bottle spray on the inside of the drive clutch between engine and clutch at the shaft. if it revs up....sux to be you. if not carb rebuild.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does it restart once its hot? if not check the crank seals.if you dont know how..put some gas in a spray bottle spray on the inside of the drive clutch between engine and clutch at the shaft. if it revs up....sux to be you. if not carb rebuild.
It does not restart once it is hot but I would not think it would the crank seals since I just replaced them in July but I will certainly test that to make sure. Just finished installing the new crank seals in the other sled last night. Still need to get the pistons installed this week.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of your help everyone. A friend came over tonight and helped me think through the process and after removing the left plug we noticed it did not look like it was firing. Checked compression, it was 115, checked spark it was strong so we decided it had to be something with the carb. Removed the carb, pulled the bowl and found the main jet sitting in the bowl. Reinstalled the jet, then the carb and wow. Fired up and runs like a twin 488 should run.

Now I can spend my time on the 97 finishing rebuilding that one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts