Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I sold the 91 Indy 500. This year my kids are pining away for their favorite sled. So, I found another one to get going. This one is starting off with a motor that isn't frozen up, and skid with upgraded Fox shocks and steering that works. It'll need all new fuel lines, a good cleaning and service, new seat cover and probably a few other things. Not that I needed another project, but hey it'll keep the kids happy and give an opportunity to teach em more about wrenching.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have been thinking about getting one of those myself or an older Phazer...is that '91 an EFI? I want a carbed sled myself, so maybe late 80's.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carbs, I don't think I'd want one of the early EFI versions.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have one of the EFI versions and no you don't want it,lol. There is a reason people convert them to carbs. I hate that system on my backup sled. IF I keep it and that is a big IF at this point I will convert it to carbs. It has the Xtra-10 upgrade on the rear with Fox Shocks in the Front Rear and Rear Rear, every bearing was replaced, new graphite slides and track has new 96 1" studs with new lightweight backers. All told the sled has 30 miles on it since all that was done. Every time I fix it, something else breaks with the EFI system. At the point if I can't find 38mm carbs for it as that is what they should have on it from factory then I might just part it out and keep a few things like the track and suspension and maybe the engine to put in the impulse line.

Skills can you do me a favor? Look at where the impulse line is take a few pics and can you measure from the side exactly where it is? That way if I do the switch I have the measurements I need I can't find them anywhere online. I would really appreciate it. I can even send a couple parts your way to help with the rebuild if you want? some fuel filters as i have around 7 or 8 of the 1/4" bigger fuel filters like the ones below.

Also if you need new fuel traps check these out. 5 for 32 bucks and they work I bought a set a month ago to replace mine and have a spare.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a 85 340 Enticer and I really like the simplicity of the sled, 2 cylinder one carb, air cooled. I would like to upgrade the suspension, it is hard to turn and has one bent steering arm that I straightened as well as I could. But I would rather get a late 80's -early 90's Phazer or maybe an Indy 500. From what I have read they are both extremely reliable and easy to work on. I am older and don't need to go fast, I ride alone a lot so reliability and ease of repair are the most important things...plus I frequently ride on groomed trails, go pretty slow, so the suspension is not a huge issue either.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Coolhand, I'll get that for when I get going on the repairs. I'll have to look into the traps, that could be real handy!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Not a problem I am in NO Rush at all. If I do anything with it, it will be over summer as right now the sled cover is covered in so much snow I can't remove it. So I can't even get to the engine compartment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts