Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lent my sled to my son a couple of years ago and he returned it with the skis worn right thru and the clutch jammed up so it will not disengage. I replaced the skis and I need some advice on what to do with the clutch. It's still on the machine and I've done some reading on using a clutch puller assuming I'll have to take it off. Are there some teflon slides or something inside that's likely been overheated that I can repair/replace that might be causing it to not disengage? I'm hoping I can fix it without having to buy a new one. Sled is a 79

Thanks

·
Registered
427 Posts
If it's the original clutch then it is very similar to the ubiquitous P-85. You don't really have to pull the clutch to do minor repair and if repair is more than minor you need special tools. I would start by taking the cover off and looking around. Most likely the outer shiv bushing is seized on the shaft. Good luck.

I feel your pain. The youngest of my 5 children is almost 21.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's the original clutch then it is very similar to the ubiquitous P-85. You don't really have to pull the clutch to do minor repair and if repair is more than minor you need special tools. I would start by taking the cover off and looking around. Most likely the outer shiv bushing is seized on the shaft. Good luck.

I feel your pain. The youngest of my 5 children is almost 21.
I can imagine you have some stories to tell! Yeah, and his buddy with him pulled the same stunt with my Indy wearing holes in both skiis in addition to smacking a tree. It's taken me 2 years or more to calm down!:mad:

In any event, thanks for the advice, I'll look a little further this weekend. I did note there were some nylon or teflon bushings that looked like the clutch might slide against them. I thought they might be damaged but couldn't tell. I tried spraying WD-40 in the holes but it didn't have any effect.
I'll post some pics this weekend of it and maybe you can see someething that I don't. And yes it's the original clutch.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here's a couple of shots of the clutch, is the large housing supposed to slide back to that washer instead of having that space there? Can't remember how it's supposed to work. Looks like a bronze sleeve in there.

I got brave and pulled the cover, looks a little gummed up and dry on the friction points but nothing looks blue and overheated. Pics a little out of focus.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Pull off the belt. I don't think I've ever seen a clutch worked on with the belt installed. With the belt off, the cover and spring removed, there should be nothing keeping the outer shiv from moving toward the engine. Spray a little PB Blaster around the shaft/bushing if it won't move. Do NOT bend a shiv. DO put the clutch cover back on in the exact same position. Should be Xes to line up with each other. It's a balance thing.

I bet you can clean the shaft up with some emery. Touch it with a good fine file if any burrs stick up and be back in business. Once it's freed up the cover won't exactly go right on the way you took it off. The spring will be pushing on it. I would put it on with the main bolt and washer till you can get the little bolts started. Turn the small bolts a little at a time as you tighten so you don't cock the cover.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the late reply, thanks for all the good info.

Big problem here with ice in the gutters,about a foot, and starting to back up on my roof, spent the day dealing with that and trying to get the snow off; about 30" on the roof.
Maybe tomorrow for snowmobile stuff, I'll let you know.

Thank you

Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pull off the belt. I don't think I've ever seen a clutch worked on with the belt installed. With the belt off, the cover and spring removed, there should be nothing keeping the outer shiv from moving toward the engine. Spray a little PB Blaster around the shaft/bushing if it won't move. Do NOT bend a shiv. DO put the clutch cover back on in the exact same position. Should be Xes to line up with each other. It's a balance thing.

I bet you can clean the shaft up with some emery. Touch it with a good fine file if any burrs stick up and be back in business. Once it's freed up the cover won't exactly go right on the way you took it off. The spring will be pushing on it. I would put it on with the main bolt and washer till you can get the little bolts started. Turn the small bolts a little at a time as you tighten so you don't cock the cover.
All set, it was as you said, dry and corroded so the shiv wouldn't fully disengage. Penetrating oil and some fine emery did the trick. Works fine now.
Thanks for your help!

·
Hank Scorpio
112 Posts
Post some Apollo pics!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.