Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a 97 550 cougar. Put on new track and test drove fine. Brought back in shop and cleaned carbs and started running poor. rechecked carbs and restarted, still running poor. went thru everything one more time and went to restart and had absolutely no spark. coil test good. stater good. can a CDI box quit that quickly? Checked all grounds feel like I'm missing something very simple. What have you guys run across that can wiggle loose or become disconnected? Can I test CDI box? Thanks for anything

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yup, tss it sounds like. If you don't know what that is it is the sensor's on your carbs that shuts down your ignition if the throttle sticks open. (wires coming from your carbs). Make sure the magnets in the carbs didn't fall out when you took the carbs apart. They are located inside the carb slide under the spring plate. If your slides are out of sink or out of adjustment that will cause the tss to shut off the ignition.

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
TSS is in the handle bar, TSP in on the carbs.
Both are interconnected if it has both.
I would look at the switch in the throttle block (TSS).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds like a perfect diagnosis with as much jacking around as we did with the carbs on and off. What exactly am I looking for when I look in the throttle block? Is there a sight I can get a diagram from? Thank you very very much

·
Registered
711 Posts
You can bypass the TSS..I highly recomend it. There is a way to do it and keep the kill switch...IMO bypass both. They are both land mines waiting to go off. Here is the general "How to bypass a TSS/Kill switch".

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
Try just unplugging the 4 way plug and see if you have spark, if still none, jump the brown and black, retest. This will bypass all the kills.

·
oh canada hmmmhmmmhmm
1,370 Posts
TSS is in the handle bar, TSP in on the carbs.
Both are interconnected if it has both.
I would look at the switch in the throttle block (TSS).
and the God father speaks. Hey RJ

·
oh canada hmmmhmmmhmm
1,370 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. It was the TSS switch. Something so simple to fix but I would never of known to even check. Saved me much time and money. Greatly appreciated for all the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts