Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found 2 sleds for sale (by same owner) and was wondering which would be a better choice. They are both 1998 Arctic Cat Panteras, one 580 EFI Twin and the other is an 800 Triple Carbureted. They both have very low mileage and appear to be in great condition.

As you probably know, these are touring sleds, so I plan to do 2-up riding frequently, but I enjoy the speed and excitement of aggressive riding too, so power is important.

I guess the bottom line is if the EFI and slightly less weight of the 580 are worth the trade for the greater hp of the 800.

Which one would be better? Where and why?

Thanks

BTW, I'm 185 lbs and my g/f is about 120.

·
Registered
25 Posts
personally, i would go with the 800. the power will there, and i've been told that the older EFI wasnt very good. i dont think a 583 would be a good sled for 2-up riding either. the 800 will be good for touring, and it will still be pretty fast. well, faster than the 583. just my $.02 :D

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Yep 800 you said you wanted the power to be there for agressive riding and its an 800 triple:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm really attracted to the power, but it comes at like a 60lb penalty. Then there's the EFI.

Is the EFI really all that much better than carbs?

·
Registered
205 Posts
go with the 800. 60 lbs is NOTHING. have your wife lose that!! LMAO. j/k, but yea, i'd go with the 800. i think the efi that year just might have been battery-less, i'm not sure tho. carbs arent bad at all either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 1997 ZR 580 EFI and a 1998 Pantera 800. Go for the 800 if you are going to ride 2 and want power. The only andvantage to the EFI is easier start and less warm up time. And the Pantera has electric start so thats no sweat. The 800 has more than enough power to get you in trouble for touring. I was told the Carburator has slightly better gas milage than EFI but that was from a salesman and they are full of BS so that may not be true.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, to further complicate matters...

I found another nice sled for sale. The EXT 600 Touring Triple. Seems to be a nice bridge between the two other sleds. It's carbureted and weighs in about as much as the 580, but has 118 hp vs the 96 or so of the 580. Still, not as much as the 800, but it's lighter and well, looks cooler all done in black vs the forest green motif of the Pantera.

Choices, choices......Hmmmm. I need to buy now, to get the end-of-season deals and still get in some good riding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts