Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got a 97 spersport that i need to stiffen the suspension on. the torsion blocks are turned to the stiffer setting and it has the .421 torsion springs in it, which i've been told are the biggest i can get. they are pretty old from the looks of them, can they get tired?. i ordered another set of .421's not knowing that it already had .421's in it.......i thought the heavier springs were square?. these are both round?.

if i tighten up all the limitor straps and drop the suspension down, and take out alot of the travel in it will the suspension tighten up?.

other than that i'm not sure what else i can do?.

i know i'm a new guy but i would really appreciate any help...thanks

- bigshooter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah the springs can tire out. you can turn the blocks to the highest setting it should help. lowering it will make it ride like a piece of steel on a track but it could stiffen it a little. but you should have some holes in the slides rails where you could move the position of the shock. whats the problem is it bottoming out? you might have to rebuild your rear shock.

·
Registered
329 Posts
When you push down on the suspension does it spring back up or resist slowly rising? Springing is BAD.
More then likely if your shocks have never been re-charged they are due for some serious TLC. Prob need a new shaft depending how badly divited the rod actually is.
The torsion bars help absorb a little bit of the bumb, but the shock does all of the work. By lowering everything your gonna feel ever little crack on the trail, not to mention you'll upset the drive of your sled. To much adjustment on the limiter straps and you'll either have to much ski pressure & dart down the trail(side to side violence) or float the ski not being able to turn.

hope this helps, if not post, we'll get the help you need!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well here is more info......i designed a rack that attaches to the back of the sled where the stock bumper/grab handle originaly was. this sled will be used to haul ice fishing gear....total weight 150lbs tops.. so it would be as if i had a passenger on the back with me. the shocks are still good, and it turned out that the torsion springs that were in it before were .40 so the new .421's should help. other than the springs and shocks is there anything else i can do to stiffen this sled up?. is there any after market torsion blocks that are longer?. i might try to make some... over all when i have it loaded with gear and myself i can not make it bottom out jumping up and down on it so that is promising. though it looks like a 1990 suspension and not a xtra - 10....

maybe i'll just have to take what i got.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts