Snowmobile Forum banner

Adding a Spoonful of Oil into the Cylinders?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  rocket_lad 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm riding a '78 Olympique 340 and the owner's manual says to add a spoonful of oil through the sparkplug hole before storing... does anyone know what kind of oil should be used? I couldn't find where it specified.

Here's a scan of the paragraph:

One more thing.... the manual states "never use non-leaded gasoline", are they referring to unleaded gasoline? What other choice is there, and does it matter?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Back in those days, oil was not near as protective as it is now. If you are going to store the engine, a better solution is to use fogging oil designed just for that. It comes in an aerosol can, you spray it in the carbs until the engine dies, it coats the bearings, crank, underside of the piston, wrist pin bearings, and the top end. If you are going to use the teaspoon method, any 2-stroke oil will work fine. (I'm assuming this is a 2-stroke engine, can't tell by the pic).

There is no option these days to buy leaded gas, there are some additives you can add for old engines that need the lead for the valve train, but even that doesn't work well. I don't think I would use an additive for a 2-stroke, just use good oil at the proper ratio and gas with adaquae octane and you should be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.