Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had brand new ZR800 ,300 mi. on it. Shocks failed ,got thown from sled ,result spinal fusion surgery.
Anyone know anything about this type of failure, suspension related .Lawsuit pending.

·
Administrator
1,152 Posts
Law suit pending..... hmm that sounds like you should have read the safety manual before you got on the sled.

Snowmobiling is a dangerous sport and you can therefore be injured while snowmobiling.

I have never heard of such a problem. Its very possible you may have hit a rock or other object and bent the shock's arm or damaged it in some way that it siezed up on you.

I hope you recover alright, but disagree about a law suit. Its a dangerous sport and sometimes people need to realize that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
yeah, suck it up. that's why you insure your sled and yourself. so when you have an accident.

·
Banned
114 Posts
Hot Rod is the reason that insurance companies no longer want to cover our sport. This is the problem with our sue first think later country. I bet that if you had your machine under control you never would have crashed it, even with a broken rear suspension.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hope you recover good as new! Terrible way to end the season...

As for the lawsuit - what happened EXACTLY to the rear suspension? "Shocks failed" is a very loose explanation, I for one would like to hear more about it.

You say that you have 300 mi on the sled? I quote this from my 2004 Firecat Owners manual, but it was also listed in my '98 ZL manual as well...

It is required that the rebuildable gas shock absorbers be cleaned and recharged after the initial 200 miles. This service is considered normal maintenance and is the responsibility of the owner. Take the snowmobile to an authorized Arctic Cat Snowmobile dealer for this service.

If you had this service done at your local dealer, maybe they are responsible for your shock failure. If you didn't have this service performed at all, looks like AC is not liable...

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I agree with the others... I feel bad about the accident. Hope you recover fully.

However, one must realize that the sport carries with it numerous risks. I would hope that a lawsuit would be the absolute last resort, and that speed and/or alcohol wasn't involved! I hate to hear of injuries. I also hate to hear of lawsuits that raise insurance rates for the majority of us who ride under control. Please be sure you were driving under control, and had absolutely nothing to do with the failure, before going further with the suit. There's nothing like a frivolous lawsuit for something like "wardrobe failure" which pins the expense of higher insurance on all of us. Just think what “leather bustier insurance” is going to cost in the future…

:D

·
Banned
114 Posts
Please get out of snowmobiling. We don't need anymore people like you in the sport. Buy some skis or a snowboard. On second thought, don't do that either. You will probably get hurt doing that too! Just stay home and wait for the snow to melt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts