Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Vintage Lynx II
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any body no the procedure for how long a car has to be on your property not moved for you to claim the tittle for the car? Ive read about it awhile ago just forgot were the sorce was. i think it was 2-3 years i believe but i 4got how you go about getting the tittle through the dmv. im asking because there quiete a few classics that id love to restore on abonded piece of property thats attached to my property and no one has takin care/been there for over 15 years, so my idea was to pull wha ti wanted to my property and let it sit.... tried calling the owner of the land but i was told he passed away the cars there are 72 amc hornet a 80's dodge omni, a early 80 dodge van( cooked ) a ford van from the 60's or early 70s and a rambilar american ( ive only seen 2 in my lifetime lol that one and one on the street earlier this year and was amazed ) and under a well protect garage thats slowly falling apart a 80's cadillac brougham thats pretty mint except for lil pop rust. I wanted to buy these cars off the owner of the land but it use to be a camp type thing so the cars all belonged to diffrent people which im pretty sure are long gone, passed away, etc...

Sorry for all the typing

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Wow! Interesting question! I'd say call the town or state and ask them what they think first. Even though the owner may have passed away, it's still theft...

·
Vintage Lynx II
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ true you do have a point dont wanna be theif, my cousin was telling me something about this but it was to confusing because thats how he got his car someone left a 03 focus at some guys shop for 3 years and never picke dup and the mechanic got the tittle etc..

·
TRH- Troll Raising Hell
6,133 Posts
True for what both of you say.... A car left at a mechanic shop because the owner could not pay for the repair, or decided it was not worth it, may have given it to the mechanic. They, like tow companies can take over ownership of the vehicle once they prove a few things.

Your best bet is to call the local PD, see if they will run the VIN. Get the persons name and try to track them down.

If in deed the owner did pass away, the will would state whom the property now belongs too and they would now own the vehicles, unless that is also outlined in a will.

·
Vintage Lynx II
196 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts