Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

As you may have read, my SS 440 engine is "paralyzed" from some mysterious problem. I haven't a lot of money left in the budget to fix it, and spent the past couple weeks scouring the swap guides, papers, and Internet looking for a new engine or at least a serviceable crank shaft.

Results weren't encouraging. When you can even find a rebuildable SS 440 engine, it's usually stripped and goes for 100 bucks and up. SRV/XLV/Vk 540's are a straight up swap, but cost even more. FORGET about a bare crank in good shape for either one.

So I emailed a guy who'd donated some old SS 440 spares to me this spring, thinking he might have an engine for sale. He said he had a "complete" one, but he had to get $150. for it, and wouldn't dicker. He felt it was a pretty good deal.

I wasn't happy about it, but told him I'd take it.

Turns out it was a jackpot. The engine is COMPLETE, with carb, recoil, oil pump, y-pipe, all shrouding, mount plate, coils, and a good Comet 108-c clutch. Compression checks out at 135 lb. on both cylinders. He also tossed in a pair of spare tie rods with the bell crank, a mint dash panel, an oil tank, wiring harness, and a ton of small stuff.

He could easily have gotten twice that amount and settled for $150. instead.

Just goes to show you; there are some decent, generous guys in our hobby!

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
cool

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

Even with running the new lines and stuff, I figure it'll be ready to hit the trails next week; pretty excited about it.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
whats left on it?

·
Registered
477 Posts
They say harley guys stick together. I say sled guys are even tighter. I had a guy take off some hardware off of his sled so i could ride. Complete stranger! I gave up a brand new 80$ belt to help someone out. They were a complete stranger as well. Sled guys just love to see other people back on the trails. I know im one of them!

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
and there are still others azz out there that will ride right past you. but more will stop and see if you need help.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
yup i sold a 116 track to yamaha440 for 50 bucks on here and it was in great shape. i know if i wanted i could have got a lot more for it due to they are 450 new. but i don't care it is getting him back on the trail and i don't need it cuz the odd size.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
whats left on it?
Indyryder,

Nothing left to do but a lot of small beans! Most of it needs to be done after the new engine goes in. Got to run new fuel, oil, and impulse lines, set brake, set throttle cable, adjust oil pump, shine up track clips, install the trim panels on either side of the fuel tank (they had to be repaired and painted), bleed oil lines, set choke, that sort of thing.

I just came in from doing a little work. Just finished cleaning and dry lubing the secondary clutch bushing; plus shining up the helixes and faces. Also cleaned the oil tank and installed the fuel pump, which had to be reworked to fit. It's a rectangular Mikuni, and NOT original. It didn't match the bolt holes. The last owner just bolted it on with one bolt, so I made a mount plate for it from 1/4" aluminum. It's a minor thing, but it needs to be mounted solidly. If the pump worked loose, and the fuel line broke..... not good, not going there!

Also got to glass the cowl sections together, but I don't see that as being a biggy, either.

I enjoy detailed work; most of what's left is things I like to do.
With the amount of free time I have this weekend and evenings, I figure it'll be together and ready to rock by next Friday.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They say harley guys stick together. I say sled guys are even tighter. I had a guy take off some hardware off of his sled so i could ride. Complete stranger! I gave up a brand new 80$ belt to help someone out. They were a complete stranger as well. Sled guys just love to see other people back on the trails. I know im one of them!
I have to agree. The guy who gave me a deal on the SS 440 goodies KNEW he could have advertised and held out for more, but he really wanted to see another old sled brought back to health.

Some of the stuff he gave me this spring I couldn't use, but his generosity helped out again anyway. I met a guy who was restoring an early Exciter, the skis were nothing but swiss cheese and lace, and he couldn't get another set. But the ski ASSEMBLIES from an SS 440 are a bolt-in swap. So now he's back in business, too!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yup but there are still plenty of those guys that just want to rip you off majorly
77Scorpion,

It's true. Word does get out, though, that's why the crooks online keep changing their online ID's and addresses. Fortunately the thieves are in the minority.

·
Leaves in belly pan, BAD!
317 Posts
Spare belts anyone?

I agree whole heartedly. Its a sickness I hope they never find a cure for. I love to help out on the trail.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts