Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The Snow Man
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all... My bro bought a 95 Cat zr700 with low miles two months ago. It's all stock except for studs. He couldn't ride it that much at first because we didn't have much snow. Now we have lots so he got to puts some miles on it. A few things I've notice during the last few days.

1.) it seems to bog in the deep stuff after we've been putting around the trails (20 miles an hour or so), we pulled his plugs and it seems like it is too rich (oilly looking). But if he goes and cracks it open across the field and brings it back the plugs look very good. So too much fuel in the low end... how do I fix it? I ride old school and don't know much about jetting these new sleds.

2.) his sled tops out around 95mph on packed powder, he's never had it to the lake yet. What should it do all stock? I was thinking at least 110mph.

"From 0-80 it will just plain rape you there, after that it seems to have trouble with the last 10-15mph. (my bro's words not mine)"

Any comments welcome..

Thanks,
Fess

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sounds like your pilot air screw is out of adjustment. Pilot jet controls the fuel mixture from idle to about 1/4 throttle. Turning the air screw clockwise richens and counter leans out. Try a 1/8 of a turn at a time on both carbs till you get it right. If you start to get a flat spot back up a little. The 700 motor is strong but does'nt have much top end, under 100 hp. Most of the 500 cc sleds will go by it now. Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
try to syncronize the throttle cables and the oil pump take all the slack out of throttle cables before you set the oil pump just a thought worked for me

·
Registered
6 Posts
zrtease said:
Sounds like your pilot air screw is out of adjustment. Pilot jet controls the fuel mixture from idle to about 1/4 throttle. Turning the air screw clockwise richens and counter leans out. Try a 1/8 of a turn at a time on both carbs till you get it right. If you start to get a flat spot back up a little. The 700 motor is strong but does'nt have much top end, under 100 hp. Most of the 500 cc sleds will go by it now. Good luck.
Is this also true about the newer 700s (96, 97). What can be done to make them stronger? im after that 0-80 neck snapping acceleration

thanks,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts