Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weird problems within.

Bought the sled used with about 2000 miles, ran fine at idle and up to the point where the clutch engages. Took it out on the trails for its first long ride, put 300 miles on and noticed these things:

-Doesnt like to go below 40 mph
-Feels like it is bogging and missing at 4800-6700 rpm.
-Plugs look to be running a bit lean.
-Uses more gas than a 01 ZRT 600 by about a gallon.
-Goes like a bat out of hell at WOT, will hit top end easily.
-It is not bad gas - we ran dry gas and 5 tanks of premimium through.

Im kinda baffled on what could be wrong. Any ideas here before I take the carbs apart and inspect? Im thinking a sticking float or incorrect jet sizes.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'd try a new set of plugs first. Just because a plug doesn't look fouled doesn't mean its firing correctly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
need an f9 said:
I'd try a new set of plugs first. Just because a plug doesn't look fouled doesn't mean its firing correctly.
already put a new set of plugs in, didnt change anything.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a 200 600 that runs great at any speed. If you bought it used chances are someone changed jets along the way. Zrt's are jetted fat by three or four sizes from the factory making it impossible to run at slow speeds. Mine has been jetted down to 310's and runs fine down to -10 degrees. Also make sure the needles are in the correct setting for that year. Theres a chance it may be clutching thats giving you the bog and not the carbs. Go through both and good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
zrtease said:
I have a 200 600 that runs great at any speed. If you bought it used chances are someone changed jets along the way. Zrt's are jetted fat by three or four sizes from the factory making it impossible to run at slow speeds. Mine has been jetted down to 310's and runs fine down to -10 degrees. Also make sure the needles are in the correct setting for that year. Theres a chance it may be clutching thats giving you the bog and not the carbs. Go through both and good luck.
cool, thanks for the response... i kinda figured it was a carb problem.

ill have to take em out and mess with them on the bench next time im up there.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Pull the carbs and give them a cleaning and also when you put them back on make sure you have them synced. zrtease is right and that they do come pretty fat from the factory and you may need to lean out your mid range a bit. Also make sure that there are no cracks in the clutch sheves and that everything is working right, also an old belt can really hinder the performance of a sled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts